Hospital Honors People Who Have Lived With Diabetes For 50 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The Joslin Diabetes Center Affiliate at The Hospital of Central Connecticut on Nov. 29 honored seven patients who have successfully lived with type 1 diabetes for 50 years.

Patients received medals at a ceremony and lunch and were joined by their loved ones and Joslin staff. Hospital President and CEO Clarence Silvia congratulated the group, commending their ?perseverance? in managing a challenging disease. ?You took control of diabetes instead of letting it control you,? he said.

http://berlin.patch.com/articles/ho...ived-with-diabetes-for-50-years#photo-8578196

The Americans seem to acknowledge the achievement of reaching 50 years better than they do here in the UK.

Yep here once you reach the 50 year milestone you actually have to ask for the medal yourself 🙄 The duk stick it in the post to you.

So there's no presentation or is that optional?

Some hospitals if they want publicity do a presentation if they are aware of the anniversery.
Otherwise you are presented with your medal by the postie pushing it through your letter box.

Aaaah - according to what DUK told me the other week, you have to be nominated by a HCP.

Because I said, how do you prove it? - having moved and changed hospitals etc. Apparently it's enough if this HCP tells them ......

I know the date because my best friend got married on the Saturday and I went into hospital on the Wednesday following, where the GP's daignosis on the Tuesday evening was confirmed. So I always say it was the Wednesday .....

But I can't prove it!

Aaaah - according to what DUK told me the other week, you have to be nominated by a HCP.

Because I said, how do you prove it? - having moved and changed hospitals etc. Apparently it's enough if this HCP tells them ......

I know the date because my best friend got married on the Saturday and I went into hospital on the Wednesday following, where the GP's daignosis on the Tuesday evening was confirmed. So I always say it was the Wednesday .....

But I can't prove it!

It should be in your medical records Jenny.
I believe duk will also take the say so of a rellie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back