Hospital bed shortage leaves hundreds in the wrong wards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Despite relatively mild weather and low levels of winter viruses such as flu, departments in major hospitals across the country ran out of space.

The country's newest acute hospital, the Forth Valley Royal in Larbert, started the week with 98% of beds occupied.

Aberdeen Royal Infirmary had 12 beds free on Monday morning - less than 2%. Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, the Victoria in Fife, Ayr Hospital and Crosshouse Hospital in Kilmarnock all began the week with 96.8% or more beds taken.

The Herald conducted the survey as part of the newspaper's NHS: Time for Action campaign, which is calling for a review of hospital and social care capacity to ensure services can cope with the growing elderly population.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...e-leaves-hundreds-in-the-wrong-wards.23207774

They wanted me admitted to the cardiac ward on Wednesday but I ended up on the stroke ward because there were no beds on the cardiac ward.. I was meant to have a cardiac assessment in the morning but didn't see anyone from cardiology until 2pm - fortunately they were very good

They wanted me admitted to the cardiac ward on Wednesday but I ended up on the stroke ward because there were no beds on the cardiac ward.. I was meant to have a cardiac assessment in the morning but didn't see anyone from cardiology until 2pm - fortunately they were very good

I spent 4 days on the cardiac ward when I was diagnosed. I felt like a complete fraud because I felt fit as a fiddle! I actually got moved off the ward before I had the angiogram I had been waiting for! In 8 days I was in 7 different beds! 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back