HOSPITAL APPOINTMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosalindb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
So i have first appointment to start insulin, I am a bit apprehensive because I have no idea what to expect. Can anyone suggest what questions to ask? I think it will be a relief to get my BS out of high teens.low twenties

Make sure you know when to take it & how to make adjustments. You're likely to start on a conservative dose to minimise the risk of hypos, which may result in levels increasing initially.

Even so, make sure you know the symptoms of a hypo & understand the 15+15 rule for treatment.

Make sure you have suitable hypo treatments available at all times.

Don't forget to notify DVLA if you drive & familiarise yourself with the testing requirements round driving.

Make sure you know when to take it & how to make adjustments. You're likely to start on a conservative dose to minimise the risk of hypos, which may result in levels increasing initially.

Even so, make sure you know the symptoms of a hypo & understand the 15+15 rule for treatment.

Make sure you have suitable hypo treatments available at all times.

Don't forget to notify DVLA if you drive & familiarise yourself with the testing requirements round driving.
Thank you

Great advice above from @RBZ5416 I’d also add to make sure you’re clear about the name(s) of your insulin(s) and what it/they does/do. Then if you need advice here, you’ll be able to ask with the appropriate information. It’s also good if you understand what your insulin does and how it works.

I’d also ask about diet, eg should you eat X number of carbs at breakfast/lunch/tea?

Great advice above from @RBZ5416 I’d also add to make sure you’re clear about the name(s) of your insulin(s) and what it/they does/do. Then if you need advice here, you’ll be able to ask with the appropriate information. It’s also good if you understand what your insulin does and how it works.

I’d also ask about diet, eg should you eat X number of carbs at breakfast/lunch/tea?
Thanks

Take a notebook with you, and write down any questions you want to ask and make sure you get answers.
Ask how long the insulins work for - though there will be info on the leaflet with the insulins.
Make sure you write down info on injecting etc...likely you will forget or think you have forgetten something
Make sure you know who to contact for further advice.
Make sure they give you advice on dealing with hypos

Take a notebook with you, and write down any questions you want to ask and make sure you get answers.
Ask how long the insulins work for - though there will be info on the leaflet with the insulins.
Make sure you write down info on injecting etc...likely you will forget or think you have forgetten something
Make sure you know who to contact for further advice.
Make sure they give you advice on dealing with hypos
Thank you. I was thinking of what you suggested, thanks. I know otherwise it will be forgotten

I remember that first appointment when I was started on insulin. It was at my doctor's surgery with the practice nurse and a DSN from the hospital clinic. I came out of it a bit shell shocked and had a bit cry in the carb park afterwards. 🙄 Some of what they said, went in one ear and out of the other, although thankfully I took in most of it and was able to come here and fill in any blanks that I had, so try not to feel too overwhelmed by the appointment itself. Definitely have a list of questions but they should be in touch with you in the following days and weeks to see how you are getting on and adjust your doses to help balance your BG levels, so you can ask any further questions you have then.

It might be helpful to agree some sort of protocol with them, like if your levels remain persistently high (above a certain level, say 15 or 20), you can increase the dose by say 2 units and then leave it for a few days and if you are still persistently high, perhaps it by another 2 units. That way, if someone goes sick or doesn't get back to you within a week for some other reason, you have the authority to adjust/manage it yourself a bit.

Good luck and let us know how you get on and which insulins they give you and don't be frightened to ask here if there is anything you don't understand.

Rather than a notebook, it may be easier to record the session on your phone. I find i can’t ask pertinent questions, listen to the answers, plan follow up questions and keep thorough notes all at the same time.
However, if you do record the appointment, I think you need to ask for approval before you start.

In the early days I always took someone with me to my appointments. They had a note of the questions that I wanted to ask, and they were able to prompt me if our discussion had not covered any of them. My consultant was always happy with this. I still do this for any new issues not related to Diabetes.

My husband went with me to my appointment and it was a great comfort. He asked questions that I had not thought of. He remembered some of the information better than me. He also learned a lot about diabetes and is very understanding and supportive.

I remember that first appointment when I was started on insulin. It was at my doctor's surgery with the practice nurse and a DSN from the hospital clinic. I came out of it a bit shell shocked and had a bit cry in the carb park afterwards. 🙄 Some of what they said, went in one ear and out of the other, although thankfully I took in most of it and was able to come here and fill in any blanks that I had, so try not to feel too overwhelmed by the appointment itself. Definitely have a list of questions but they should be in touch with you in the following days and weeks to see how you are getting on and adjust your doses to help balance your BG levels, so you can ask any further questions you have then.

It might be helpful to agree some sort of protocol with them, like if your levels remain persistently high (above a certain level, say 15 or 20), you can increase the dose by say 2 units and then leave it for a few days and if you are still persistently high, perhaps it by another 2 units. That way, if someone goes sick or doesn't get back to you within a week for some other reason, you have the authority to adjust/manage it yourself a bit.

Good luck and let us know how you get on and which insulins they give you and don't be frightened to ask here if there is anything you don't understand.
thank you

th
My husband went with me to my appointment and it was a great comfort. He asked questions that I had not thought of. He remembered some of the information better than me. He also learned a lot about diabetes and is very understanding and supportive.
Great that you had support with you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back