Hormones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobaltblue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hey,
I'm a woman in my mid 30s & I've had my insulin pump for about 3 weeks. Whilst I am very grateful for it & am now a lot more aware on a hourly basis what is going on with my BS levels, I've started to have bouts of being very down. I'm not sure if this is 100% due to my job being stressful or if is a combination of both that & my body adjusting to the pump. I feel like I've cried more in the last 3 weeks than I have in last 10 years & I'm not quite sure why. I can't remember ever feeling like this before & an not sure what to do about it. I feel really bad for my husband, who doesn't know what to say to help. Can anyone advise?
Any suggestions greatly received.
Cobaltblue

Hi Cobaltblue

Welcome to the forum 🙂

Not sure if it applies in your case and whether staring on the pump has been a factor (perhaps just adding to other stresses in your life), but there is a definite link between diabetes and depression. It might well be worth discussing your feelings with your Dr/clinic and asking about psychological support.

Hope you get to feel more yourself soon

Hi Colboltblue firstly welcome to the forum..

I was quite emotional when I started on my insulin pump, and yes I did sob my heart out... First sobbing session was just over a week after I started pumping...

But I did know my tears were of joy, for the first time in several years I felt 'human' and I'd been given my future back, and all my hopes and dreams... And for quite while I found it to be quite overwhelming at times.

I didn't see my GP as I knew what my emotions were all about so had faith they would settle down..

But if you aren't sure why you feel like this, yes I would have a word with your doctor, perhaps a little bit of counselling is what needed to work your way through them..

I have had my pump for a couple of weeks and have been very emotional too. If you feel down and lacking in energy as well it may be time to talk to your gp or dsn. On my pump education course we were told that starting on a pump was like being newly diagnosed and to expect a bit of a roller coaster emotionally.

Hope you feel better soon

Hey,
Thanks for the supportive messages. I spoke to the nurse today & she was very reassuring. Fingers crossed that I start to feel more like my old self soon.

Hi Cobaltblue & welcome! 🙂 (love the name btw!). I can really relate to what you've described...I'd had t1 over 30yrs by the time I got a pump (dx at 11 months old)...thought I felt fairly robust & pragmatic about it all, esp never having known any different. Suddenly here was this 'thing' that needed monitoring, feeding with fresh batteries or insulin reservoirs, this medical device dripping stuff into me all the time - To Keep Me Alive!! It was like 'omg, I really do have one of those chronic medical disease things!!!' 😱 I think actually when you've been oninjections for a long time before a pump you have to relearn everything that had become to some degree automatic, so it is a bit like a new condition in some ways. The good news is that as the weeks go by & you get more adept with set changes, basal rate tweaks etc the benefits will be the things you notice & the feeling of almost shock will ease. Seriously - they would have to knock me out now to prise mine off me!! :D Hang on in there - I bet in a few months you'll be feeling better than you have in years. Xxx

Last edited:
I totally agree with twitchy ! You will be more relaxed as weeks go by. I am still learning about pump after a couple of years. Realy good luck ! 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back