Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacen017

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi Guys,

I'm really struggling this week to keep my levels up. Everything seemed to be working really well until Sunday and now no matter what I eat I'm constantly dropping into hypos and I feel terrible.
I've even stopped using my bolus but I still just drop like a rock multiple times a day.🙄

I've lowered my basal but since I'm on Tresiba it's taking a while to show any changes. :(

I've gotten to the point where I'm so sick of eating and the thought of JellyBabies is making me feel ill.

Is this the honeymoon period?o_O:confused:Screenshot_20220526-205845260.jpg

• Care
Reactions: gll
Hi @Jacen017! Wow still having hypos with no bolus! It certainly sounds like your body could still be producing some insulin! How long ago were you diagnosed?

I know the feeling of being sick of jelly babies! Everyone thinks it’s a blessing eating them to stay alive but they can actually get very boring very quickly!

Hi @Jacen017! Wow still having hypos with no bolus! It certainly sounds like your body could still be producing some insulin! How long ago were you diagnosed?

I know the feeling of being sick of jelly babies! Everyone thinks it’s a blessing eating them to stay alive but they can actually get very boring very quickly!
I was diagnosed on Christmas Eve. About 6 months ago.

I've had so many JellyBabies this week I can taste and smell them just by thinking about them :rofl:

Sorry to hear you are having a rough ride at the moment.
That is one of the main disadvantages of Tresiba, in that it takes time for any alterations to take effect. How many units are you using and how much did you reduce it by and when?
It could well be that your pancreas has suddenly found a new lease of life after a few months of being supported by insulin. We do have a member who stopped needing basal insulin 10 years ago but still needs bolus insulin. Diabetes can be very odd and unpredictable sometimes. 🙄

Sorry to hear you are having a rough ride at the moment.
That is one of the main disadvantages of Tresiba, in that it takes time for any alterations to take effect. How many units are you using and how much did you reduce it by and when?
It could well be that your pancreas has suddenly found a new lease of life after a few months of being supported by insulin. We do have a member who stopped needing basal insulin 10 years ago but still needs bolus insulin. Diabetes can be very odd and unpredictable sometimes. 🙄
I've taken it down from 22 to 18 on Tuesday.

Unpredictable is not as colorful as the word I'm thinking of right now :rofl:

BTW Dextrose tablets (glucose) are another alternative to jelly babies: it's what I use and much neater packaging.

lyy baies

I drink lucozade sometimes as an alternative hypo response. You could try a further Tresiba reduction tomorrow; in the event that you've gone too far with basal reduction you still have the bolus to keep you in range. Not ideal, but .... Have you tried asking your DSN?

I've taken it down from 22 to 18 on Tuesday.

Unpredictable is not as colorful as the word I'm thinking of right now :rofl:
@Jacen017, you need as much insulin as you need to keep yourself in range.

If you have stopped using bolus and are still going hypo then continue your reduction of basal. Take off another unit every day, or every other day, until the hypos stop. Then keep an eye open for larger spikes after meals. At that point the bolus returns. As your pancreas is temporarily helping you out with its own insulin production be aware that your bolus ratios will change and fluctuate.

Discuss with your DSN or team as required.

While using libre also remember to check and compare with finger prick tests to confirm the highs and lows.

It certainly sounds like the honeymoon period! As others have mentioned, possibly try some other treatments for hypos if jelly babies are too sickening! Also contact your care team if you are still struggling! I hope you see some change soon!

its really the Christmas gift that keeps on giving :(
hows today been?

I was so happy when I discovered jelly babies as I used to carry around a 300ml bottle of lucozade with me at work and also use glucose tabs which I found a bit dry and chalky and hard to get going but I can see that JB would become sickening after a while. It's the law of diminishing returns. Wine gums?

Take off another unit every day, or every other day, until the hypos stop.
This is great advice for basal which lasts for 24 hours or less like Levemir or Lantus. However, Tresiba lasts longer than this and changes in dosage is expected to take 3 or 4 days to have an affect. Changing dose more frequently can have a cumulative affect and risk going too low once the effect hits.

@Jacen017 i think you mentioned previously you were experiencing a reaction to the insulin and think it is basal. Maybe you can hit two birds with one stone by changing to a shorter lasting basal which will give you more flexibility during the honeymoon period.

This is great advice for basal which lasts for 24 hours or less like Levemir or Lantus. However, Tresiba lasts longer than this and changes in dosage is expected to take 3 or 4 days to have an affect. Changing dose more frequently can have a cumulative affect and risk going too low once the effect hits.

@Jacen017 i think you mentioned previously you were experiencing a reaction to the insulin and think it is basal. Maybe you can hit two birds with one stone by changing to a shorter lasting basal which will give you more flexibility during the honeymoon period.
Tresiba is a new one for me which seems to be a bit better, the reaction seems to have lessened but it's still there.

I'm hoping that the skin is just really irritated still and it clears up all the way.

DSN have not returned my call so I called the GP who seemed terrified of being asked for any advice :rofl:

its really the Christmas gift that keeps on giving :(
hows today been?
It's been a bit better, still having hypos left and right but they seem easier to get out of now.

For the last few days it could take hours for me to be able to get back past 3.9 only to crash about 30 mins later.

Today I've only needed to have a couple of JellyBabies or Dextrose to get the levels back up, the next problem is keeping them up. I reduced to 16 today so hopefully that should help in a few days an I'll stabilise.🙄

Little cartons of orange or apple juice are my main go to hypo treatments - jelly babies also soon got to sickly for me..although I do still have bags of them dotted around the house and vans/cars 🙂

But pure orange juice is the easiest and best IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back