Honeymoon period?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairyNuff

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Has anyone been through this? Towards the end of my pregnancy I stopped needing to take insulin. They said this was the honeymoon period. Now they have me taking 4 units twice a day of background insulin and just said to keep checking. Levels are still stable and normal.

I was just wondering if anyone else had been through this and how long it lasted for?

Cheers 🙂

I needed less insulin for several years after dx. During that time my control was pretty good with not much effort. I was told it was because my pancreas was still producing a little insulin on demand. Every now and then I'd need to add a little more insulin to cover the same amount of carbs in meals. After a while my requirements settled down (or at least didn't continue to rise) and good control took a little more effort.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure than insulin requirements change through pregnancy (and breats feeding if that's what you do), even in the absence of honeymoon period at the same time - just to complicate matters, sorry 🙂
Checking regularly and adjutsing insulin accordingly is the best way to go.
Have a look in the Pregnancy section, too.

Thanks you two 🙂 will keep checking.

Mike, I noticed on your blog you have a few references to Bristol. Do you use the DSNs at the BRI? That is who I am using, though I saw them at St. Mikes through pregnancy. Hope you don't mind me asking... just wondered how you found the treatment in Bristol.

Hi there,
My son was diagnosed 18 months ago (aged 11) and i`m pretty sure he is still Honeymooning to some degree.
For a year after diagnosis his insulin requirements were really minimal and even now a "high" blood sugar for him is around 13 or so.
I`m pretty sure his pancreas is still kicking out some insulin and long may it continue i say!!!
Best wishes with the last few weeks of your pregnancy!
Cat x

Thanks Cat, yes I hope it continues as long as possible 🙂

And whoops, had my baby! Better update my signature... :D

My control has been good on the whole since diagnosis 2.5 years ago, and I need about half the novorapid and a quarter of the lantus I had for the first few months. There is a theory that you can recover some beta cell function once you support your pancreas by giving supplemental insulin and that seems to fit with my experience - but then I've never been a pregnant lady so I'm sure there are many more variables at play for you!

Thanks Cat, yes I hope it continues as long as possible 🙂

And whoops, had my baby! Better update my signature... :D

Many Congratulations, wishing you lots of peaceful nights sleep LOl !!

Cat x

Sarah, I've seen 2 DSNs at the BRI, Helen mostly. I don't often go to see them, apart from annual checks. I've always had a very good experience there. I especially like Dr Dayan, with whom I've had some very interesting conversations. How have you found it?

Oddly enough I was thinking the other day that I should ask them what their advice was to newly diagnosed, given my current soapbox efforts to get carb-counting education for all. It was Helen who said (years ago) that they don't really do 'exchanges' any more. Not sure what they do instead!

M

Last edited:
Hi sarah , I was diagnosed in July and I have been told that I am still in the honeymoon period as my results are "exceptional" lol. I am on Novomix atm and on a small dosage. Hope you and baby are well, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back