honeymoon period thingy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmal31

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Has anyone had the honey moon period yet when their pancreas starts working again for a while? was just wondering because unfortunately I haven't experienced this myself and was wondering what it's like?

Has anyone had the honey moon period yet when their pancreas starts working again for a while? was just wondering because unfortunately I haven't experienced this myself and was wondering what it's like?
no only heard of it on here, still not quite sure what it's all about. Puzzled... Has anyone gone through it?

it tends to happen when newly diagnosed. As I understand it it has something to do with when you're put on insulin it can stimulate your pancreas to produce more insulin, thereby reducing the amount you need to inject. I believe it can last for up to around a year, until all the insulin producing cells are destroyed.
I experienced it for only around three months but didn't really notice until it was over and by insulin needs suddenly increased.

I noticed it for quite a few months after I was diagnosed. Sometimes for no apparent reason I'd have mega hypo's - the consultant reckoned it was the 'honeymoon' period and I was producing insulin as well as injecting it and getting a 'double-whammy' effect. It's stopped now , but was a little disconcerting at times.

Hi everyone, I am currently 'honeymooning'. I was diagnosed type 1 five months ago.

My diagnosis was very unusual because I had no symptoms. During a routine occupational health test for a new job it was noticed that I had high sugars in my urine. A random blood glucose test was 12.5. Then my GP investigated. At first she was convinced that I 'couldn't' be diabetic as I had none of the classic thirst/weight-loss symptoms, but further tests confirmed that I was in the early stages of type 1. (i.e. that I had a high level of those antibodies that are attacking the insulin-produsing cells in the pancreas).

I am currently honeymooning as my pancreas still produces a considerable amount of insulin. I take low dosages of fast acting insulin with breakfast and dinner, and a background insulin at night.

I feel very lucky to be in this 'in-between' stage, as I feel I have been able to get used to diabetes and come to terms with it at my own speed. I am however very curious to know what it will be like when the honeymoon is over - I wonder if it will be very sudden, or if I will just gradually find myself needing more and more insulin to achieve healthy blood glucose levels.

Any other honeymooners out there? I'd be very interested to compare experiences.🙂

Hi lula,

That is very unusual I think most poeple i've meet with diabetes have been hospitalised because it's been so far along and have to be put on a sliding scale. Have you had much help in terms of insulin to give yourself and hypo's etc? I suppose it's a slightly better way to get eased into it although I think we'd rather not have it at all. I personally lost 3 stone had the raging thirsts all the time and just very Ill in general when I finally decided to go to the doctor's and I had a blood sugar level of 30. How are u finiding the injections?

Yes it is extremely unusual to be diagnosed so early - the doctors were very surprised. My diabetes nurse said she had only encountered one other person like me, and they too had been diagnosed during a medical for work. Because it is so rare, they cannot offer much information about how long the 'honeymoon' will last, so we are just playing it by ear really. My pancreas is still producing a significant amount of insulin.

I take a small dose of slow-acting insulin at night, and then fast-acting with breakfast and dinner. I just judge how much fast-acting insulin to take according to what I have eaten. Occasionally I misjudge it, and I often find that a dosage that was right for a certain meal on one occasion is not necessarily the right amount on another occasion!

Obviously like you I'd rather not have diabetes full stop - I meant I felt fortunate to be diagnosed at an early stage rather than later on!

Looking back the only symptoms I had experienced were very persistent thrush, and also taking a long time to recover from infections/illnesses. For example, about a year ago my sister and I both got a stomach bug at the same time - she recovered from it in three days whilst I had it for two weeks. - But obviously I never developed the full blown classic symptoms.

I am getting on fine with injections, and feel well-supported both by GP and the team at the hospital. I get the odd hypo - maybe two per week, but have so far not had any too severe. The lowest blood glucose reading I've had was 2.6 and I did feel pretty dizzy, but luckily so far I haven't had a disabling hypo or one which I couldn't treat myself.

The thing I most worry about is nighttime hypos. I try to avoid these by having a snack before bed when I take my slow-acting insulin, but I'm never sure what the best thing to eat is, and I hate eating last thing before bed. Any suggestions? I usually have an oatcake but am getting pretty sick of them now!!

When were you diagnosed Emma? I hope you're feeling much better now? How was Christmas?

Sorry I meant Emmal not Emma! Its confusing as there is another poster called Emma who was also writing about honeymoon period!

mike

hi lula
night time hypos
this is my story NOT a suggestion
after 20 years of this. A consultant said (as a throw away commemt)
"of course by the time you get to 2am all the short acting insulin is gone and the only thing running is the glargine you take with your evening meal"
after many days thought I came to the conclusion that I would take the comment seriously (not how it was meant)
AND take my long term in the morning with my breakfast
BANG no more night hypos, no more wet sheets, no more trying to find the kitchen, (its amazing how many times you can try to find the kitchen and end up in the coal shed when you really hypo), no more headaches that last all day, no more biting the heads of Jelly babies (other people)
NOW of course you should see the look I get when I say "I take my long term in the morning"
the look says "I`M the consultant / doctor" are you mad
and I think yes but you don`t have to sleep in wet sheets
? ever tried changing the sheets when you are hypo?

Mike (Edited by Margaret)

Mike

Many people take their long acting in the morning and many others split the dose in 2 and have a lot better results doing this.
But this has nothing to do with the question regarding the honeymoon period. 🙄

Mike, might be useful to write your own threads rather than keep writing random stuff that has nothing to do with what someone has asked.

Hi lula,

I would say if your going to eat something before going to bed maybe something like a rich tea because it doesn't have a lot of carbs in it. I don't eat before I go to bed because i've worked out the right dose for my lantus finally! Plus when i did I found that I woke up with high blood sugar levels and it made me feel crap all day, which I hate. I was diagnosed in january of this year and am feeling loads better now thanks! I think that this site has really helped me it sort of makes you feel like your not alone. Christmas was good although had lots of high's but I was expecting it really eating lots of nice food. how about you?

mike

Dear EMMAL
You are quite right I am in the Wrong place I shall go
Dear Sue
Ithought I would wait for my next injection b4 commenting on steriods
I have the other hand injected each month (was monday)(got black spot now)
big brusie in my palm (did i se you wince)
for 5 hrs no sugar rise then up by 5 points then regained control by bedtime by less food next day fine by less food
the type i have is eliminated by the liver in the urine in 20 days
all the diferent formulations have a half life of diferent periods none (that are usefull) less than 5 days
so to forget your steriod pills for one day and get a reduction in sugars the next day is complete nonsence

BY BY

Kidneys to urine

Just to correct Mike's post (not to ensure he leaves) - what ends up in the urine always passes through the kidneys into bladder, where it is stored until convenient to expel. Sometimes there is a breakdown process in liver, spleen etc earlier before kidneys. Things (whether food, liquid, drugs, gases etc) enter the body in various ways eg swallowed orally / by mouth, absorbed through mucous membranes (mouth / nose / rectum), inhaled, injected (sometimes for speed of administration, sometime because stomach would break down eg insulin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back