Honey moon period type 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,Ater being diagnosed recently it has been suggested to me that I might now be experiencing a honey moon period . I’ve not yet seen my consultant due to striking, so not yet had a chance to discuss this. Does anyone have experience of a honey moon period ?

Hi Sharie - I think most Type 1s experience a honeymoon period! It’s very normal. For some, it’s quite short but others, including me, have a longer honeymoon period. It’s not a problem - and, in fact, I found it made control easier after the initial few weeks when it settled down.

… so my issue is working out how much background to have , I’ve gone right down to 2 from 10 I tried a day with none and although my sugars came down again after meals they took longer to do so, I don’t know weather I should go back to 2 or increase the meal time insulin! Im also experiencing fatigue again , does that ever fully go away?

Have you done a basal test @sharie ? That would help you judge whether your basal is at the right level. Your basal should hold your blood sugar steady in the absence of food.

Honeymoon period can throw a spanner or two in the works for some people, and provide some welcome background support for others!

Some seem to find that their flagging beta cells get a bit of a ‘second wind’ when exogenous insulin is added and start trickling in some home grown. I wonder of it partly depends on how spluttering or even that response is? And whether the signalling to switch any insulin off again is working well?

There’s a write-up about basal testing here if you’ve not come across the concept before. I found it extremely helpful when I discovered it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back