Honesty Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul.johnson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Everyone, Just a quick honesty check here.lol🙂
How many people change their needles on their pens after every injection..?????
my answer, i dont,i keep going till its starting to get tuff injecting.😉

I change the needle every time! But I only change lancets when they start to hurt.

I change the needle every time ,, with the lancets though i am like Northey

A the end of each pen (disposable).....

They say the microscopic abnormalities that happen may effect the dose, but its really all about comfort........i literally dart myself so cant feel anything, unlike my brother who slowly pierces the skin on the way in, why would you do that??

rig2q.jpg

Before

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/551/rig3.jpg

After

Last edited:
Oh i forgot about Lancet.lol.
i only change that once in a blue moon.

i see there are some good people out there.:D lol.
was told to change after every injection..

When I was first diagnosed the needles were not available on prescription. You had to buy your own. I think they were about ?15 a box. The DSNs at that time actively encouraged you to reuse the needles up to 6 times.

Now they encourage you to use a new needle each time, as the more you use it the less accurate the dose delivery and chance of infection. I normally use them just the once but there are times - if chemists are struggling to get supplies or I am out and end up with an extra snack that I will use more than once.

Have to remember that BD makes some of its money by selling needles to NHS....

When I injected I used to use a new needle each time, but if I went away or ran low and forgot to order then I'd re-use. For me it was due to it hurting quite a lot in some cases.

Lancets are rarely changed. I think the last time I worked it out, the current rate that I change them would mean I'd need to order some more in about 5 years 😱

Last edited:
I don't use needles but I change my lancet every time. This is mostly because I'm a wimp and it always hurts more if re-used!🙄 I only have to test twice a week so one box will last a year.

needles every time lancets errr when i get round to it:D
real honest answer with insulin my pen only goes up to 60 units and i take 100 so i have to have 2 jabs and 9 out of ten times i dont change the needle Hangs head in shame

Last edited by a moderator:
When I injected I used to use a new needle each time, but if I went away or ran low and forgot to order then I'd re-use. For me it was due to it hurting quite a lot in some cases.

Lancets are rarely changed. I think the last time I worked it out, the current rate that I change them would mean I'd need to order some more in about 5 years 😱

I think with lancets the skin on our fingers does get hard and desensitized to the lancet, which is acceptable, unlike our injection sites......I change the lancet when it is no longer drawing blood at the highest setting.......

Can I just throw a spanner in the works here and also ask if people inject through clothes?

Possible discussed on here before, but for me personally no, as I never wear clothes thin enough...........

Do you?

Thanks Northerner... Good picture of used needle.
think i will try and use new one everytime

Carol has to use a new needle every time, as she uses Novofine Autocover, which are rendered unusable after one use.

Lancets she uses a new one every time, except if it is for the same test and for some reason she didn't get enough blood out the first time.

I used to reuse always have done, if I change with new cartridge, if injection was painful or I've blunted the needle putting the cover back on! When I used syringes these would be changed when I it started to hurt.

Lancets the same, if it hurts or when I remember I change the lancet..

So never had a problem no infections nor hard skin created on my fingers from lancing!!

But it's everybody personal choice, if you want to change every time, nothing wrong with doing so..

When on 2 a day i would use one needle twice.
However my OH got me to start changing every inject now.
With lancets i change when i remember, usually after 3/4 tubs of strips. So every 200ish strips.
Apart from yesterday when i droped the finger pricker on the floor, the end came off and i stabed the carpet.... 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back