Homoeopathy plays a useful role in today's NHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Stalwarts of the medical establishment who torpedo complementary medicine are ignoring the evidence of thousands of beneficiaries.

The campaign against homoeopathy ? already dismissed as ?witchcraft? by the British Medical Association and ?rubbish? by the Chief Medical Officer ? resurfaced again last week. It is, claimed Prof Sir John Beddington, former government scientific adviser, ?mad? for the NHS to fund a form of treatment for which there is ?no underlying scientific basis?.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/9...opathy-plays-a-useful-role-in-todays-NHS.html

I thought homeopathy was different to complementary medicine, so it seems unfair to lump in genuine therapies with it :(

I totally agree that homeopathy should not be a part of the NHS treatment.

However, if patients want it, then they should go to a private clinic and pay for it themselves.

After all, given that what they get is no more than a simple sugar pill, it should be extremely cheap (well excluding the no doubt exhorbitant costs of whichever clinic they attend).

Andy 🙂

My feeling is that the NHS should only pay for treatments that have robust scientific evidence supporting their effectiveness.

Simply put, hold homeopathic and complementary medicine to the same standard as conventional treatment. If it works, it's not 'homeopathic' or 'complementary' medicine, it's just 'medicine'.

My feeling is that the NHS should only pay for treatments that have robust scientific evidence supporting their effectiveness.

Simply put, hold homeopathic and complementary medicine to the same standard as conventional treatment. If it works, it's not 'homeopathic' or 'complementary' medicine, it's just 'medicine'.

Spot on!

Andy 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back