Homemade wholemeal bread experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeTurin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've tried to make some wholeeal bread reallu old school, only wholemeal flour, beer yeast salt and water, waited four hours for the rise, made the loafs, waited another hour for the rise and baked.

The interesting thing is that when I buy the integral bread at the mall I've found that I have spikes after two hour of the meal as expected when I eat 150/200 g of bread. With the home made bread the "spike" is under 7 mmol/l.

Anyone has experienced that the spike is lower with homemade bread? It's maybe because not having extra substance added the absortion of the carbohytdates is slower?

By the way on "surprises" in foods bought at the supermarket, I've bought some ginger for sushi at Lidl, this one http://offers.kd2.org/pics/3b/c0/3bc0f8303f6f0ba79d96c685e51cb0e5f0f70b9c.jpg and then I read the ingredients. It has listed both sugar and aspartame. I could understand putting sugar to sweeten the taste or put aspartame to make the same thing, but why put bot of them especially in a"bitter" food?
When you buy something industry processere you're going to find odd things...

Sugar is a natural preservative and it could be being used to extend the shelf life.

Oh, that's encouraging! I love making bread, and haven't since my diagnosis last October. I make a wholeness sourdough bread that has its own starter, so no yeast. I'll give that a try at the weekend and see how the bloods go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back