Homemade low carb shake recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilLady

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Does anyone have any good low carb, shake or smoothie recipes please.
Not concerned about calories or fat.
Just the carbs. Thanks

Personally I avoid smoothies or shakes these days as they process food too finely. Any carbs in the shake will hit the blood stream quicker because the breakdown process has already started by pulverizing them. Similarly I think fibre may be more beneficial to our gut health if it isn't too finely processed.

I believe chewing is an important part of the eating process and helps us to feel satisfied and less likely to overeat and of course enables us to detect all the different flavours and textures in our food. I know that I would rather eat a steak with salad and coleslaw as a thick brown slop that I imagine it would turn into if I zapped it in a "bullet blender". I know that is an extreme example but maybe my breakfast would be a better one.... I have creamy Greek style natural yoghurt with mixed whole seeds and mixed berries or sour cherries at the moment. Biting into one of those cherries and releasing the sharp flavour with the creaminess of the yoghurt and the crunch of the seeds is just way more enjoyable in my opinion that glugging a liquid.
I haven't used my Nutribullet in years and it needs to find a new home I think, instead of taking up bench space, so thanks for making me consider that rather than just ignoring it and working around it.

Ha ha you're welcome.
I personally really enjoy a shake and I am really not a breakfast person at all, I skip it way to often and it's not doing my bg's any favours, but I can stomach a shake first thing and really enjoy it. The problem is all the really nice ones are too carb heavy for me, with a lot more fruit than I should be eating, I agree about the processed fruit being absorbed quicker. I think tomorrow I am going to try a banana, coconut yoghurt and a splash of almond milk.
I literally could not sit in a morning and eat this, but I can drink it just fine.

I just have a glass of milk or a banana or a yoghurt when I need some breakfast but feel too nauseated to eat anything. Would you be able to eat a yoghurt or a banana or a glass of milk non blended? Or some berries are lower carb so maybe you could try blending frozen berries into milk?

I just have a glass of milk or a banana or a yoghurt when I need some breakfast but feel too nauseated to eat anything. Would you be able to eat a yoghurt or a banana or a glass of milk non blended? Or some berries are lower carb so maybe you could try blending frozen berries into milk?
As bizarre as it sounds after saying I really like a shake, I am not a lover of just plain old milk. I can remember at school gagging as my teacher forced me to to drink it. But I love shakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back