Home made "oral glucose tolerance test"

42istheanswer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I've been meaning to try a home made ogtt for a while with 75g of glucose gels (free samples from gluco-rx), but my libres kept coming out before the day I had planned to do it. So I thought I might do it while I have this Dexcom One+ trial, and I woke early this morning so decided I would do craft things for my wedding aka sitting doing not much, and decided spur of the moment to try it today! (NB the black cherry flavour gluco-rx gel is delicious, though very expensive if you bought it as a hypo treatment - comes in 15g sachets so I ate 5 in quick succession for 75g glucose.)

Starting BG 5.9 mmols
30 mins later 10.5
Peak reading 55 minutes in 12.8
1 hour in 12.5
1.5 hours in 9.6
2 hours in 6.0
2.5 hours in 3.4 (the biggest surprise for me)
3 hours in 4.6

I felt very woozy as the blood sugar was shooting up, not so much when it dipped below 4 (I didn't fingerprick so not sure if it was a real low or overpredicted but it continued to show below the line for about 3 reading).

(Note I have had more carbs than usual the last 2-3 days, and in fact the results appear to be more or less OK - if I was pregnant they definitely wouldn't be happy with the one hour result but I'm not at present. I think the one hour result was higher than last time I had a proper ogtt when I was 36ish weeks with my second child)

IMG-20240929-WA0001.jpg

If these results are purely CGM results then they are not accurate enough when levels are going up and coming down so fast and they usually over exaggerate the high and the lows in such circumstances. Did you double check those high and low results with finger pricks?

If these results are purely CGM results then they are not accurate enough when levels are going up and coming down so fast and they usually over exaggerate the high and the lows in such circumstances. Did you double check those high and low results with finger pricks?
No, it was just to see, not intended to be clinical. I'm pretty sure that the highs were close if not entirely accurate though by how I was feeling

Back