Home cholesterol monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebstar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Does anyone know how accurate home cholesterol monitors are. I have a Chez monitor and on testing yesterday and today the numbers varied greatly - from 2.9 yesterday to 7.9, 5.9 and 4.9 today. This doesn't help at all. When I last had my review the nurse said the guidelines said that diabetics should be below 4 now. I'm already on 20mg statins and really don't want to go higher. My last reading at my review was 5.8 I've always been in the 5s even before diabetes.:(

never used one, so don't know. Does it come with a control fluid? If in doubt maybe contact the manufacturers and ask their advice.

I think your results demonstrate very well just how inaccurate and unhelpful 'home cholesterol monitors' are. Don't waste your money on them, if you're concerned about your cholesterol see your GP and ask for it to be checked, there's certainly no point in doing it every day though.
There is a good reason why GP's send samples to a lab for analysis of cholesterol rather than just using a handheld monitor!

Yes I think you are right already wasted my money tho. Having cholesterol check with nurse next week.😡

Yes I think you are right already wasted my money tho. Having cholesterol check with nurse next week.😡

It will be interesting to see what they come up with in comparison to the home monitor - perhaps you could ask them about the disparity in readings you've been getting? I have a home blood pressure monitor and it's rubbish!

Why do you think your blood pressure monitor is rubbish? What make is it?

Why do you think your blood pressure monitor is rubbish? What make is it?

Well, for a start it's a wrist monitor rather than an upper arm one - the wrist ones are far more inaccurate. The readings are always pretty similar, despite the fact that my BP has been very high of late - it still shows me nicely in range compared to the doctor's.

I've had it a while, but there are good, properly calibrated ones on the market these days (upper arm) and they're much cheaper. Just having a look on amazon, this one appears to have very good reviews and I may get one when my dwindling finances allow! Omron MX2 Digital Automatic Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor MX2

You're right Northerner. I bought one, and it is recommended by the British Hypertension Society. When I went for my latest results, I took it along with me, and took a reading after the nurse had taken one with her traditional one (with stethescope). The 2 results were very similar, & both high because I suffer from white coat syndrome. I kept a log for 2 weeks before I went, with all results in the 130/80 range. So she has put a note on my record that my home BP monitor is reliable, despite all my surgery taken readings being high.

Brian

You're right Northerner. I bought one, and it is recommended by the British Hypertension Society. When I went for my latest results, I took it along with me, and took a reading after the nurse had taken one with her traditional one (with stethescope). The 2 results were very similar, & both high because I suffer from white coat syndrome. I kept a log for 2 weeks before I went, with all results in the 130/80 range. So she has put a note on my record that my home BP monitor is reliable, despite all my surgery taken readings being high.

Brian

In that case Brian, I think I should invest in a properly validated one as I know that my GP readings are way higher than they should be (or at least I would like to think they are - this might prove it!)

A slight correction to my previous post. My monitor is the M2 compact, not the MX2. Probably cheaper as well, but will give the same result. I did notice in ASDA just before we went on holiday, they were selling them for ?10. Might be worth a look.

Brian

A slight correction to my previous post. My monitor is the M2 compact, not the MX2. Probably cheaper as well, but will give the same result. I did notice in ASDA just before we went on holiday, they were selling them for ?10. Might be worth a look.

Brian

Wow that is cheap! When I first looked to buy a few years ago they were nearly ?200!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back