Holidays & Mosquito's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzydi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Does any one else have serve reactions to mosquito bites when they are abroad?

If I get bit they come up like mountains - and are very very painful. I used to joke before I was diagnosed that it was because my blood is sweeter than anyone else's. I have ended up with blood poisoning from bites in the past.

Can mosquito's detect a sweeter person ? 😛

i used to make the same joke! Others would be in the same place as me and not get a single bite, I get 10 and they would be awful. Worst place was Finland in the summer when I couldn't get the shoes on. Last bite I had was since under better control and I didn't ge the same reaction at all

I always get bitten and they are always huge and painful, never used to have a problem until a few years ago, around the time I was diagnosed, never really thought about it but maybe there is some link...

It's not sugar they are attracted to. They detect the carbon dioxide you breath out. Not sure if they can digest sugars anyway. I imagine they live off proteins more.

The reactions you suffer may have something to do with the diabetes though as bacteria will grow better on sugars, making you more prone to minor infections.

Practically everyone I know who is diabetic has problems with mosquito bites. All the non diabetics never seem to get bitten.

One of my solutions is to use citronell or lemon juice, but do take advice if you're not sure.

In summer when doors and windows are opn, I burn citronella candles (safely out of reach) near doors and windows, which also seems to keep flies out too.😱

Practically everyone I know who is diabetic has problems with mosquito bites. All the non diabetics never seem to get bitten.

One of my solutions is to use citronell or lemon juice, but do take advice if you're not sure.

In summer when doors and windows are opn, I burn citronella candles (safely out of reach) near doors and windows, which also seems to keep flies out too.😱
thanks for the tip.

insect bites overseas

I'm a biologist and nurse, who used to work in a travel clinic, where we were careful to advise any patients how to minimise chances of anthropod (jointed animal with lots of legs, including insect, ticks etc) bites, which are unpleasant, even if the arthropod isn't actually carrying any disease eg malaria, yellow fever, dengue fever, leishmaniasis, tick borne encephalitis etc. Actually, I've had my worst biting experiences with midges in Scotland and Greenland, rather than tropical countries. The main advice is to cover skin with clothing, whenever insects are biting - use face / head nets if you like; use insect repellent containing DEET - DEET is the only repellent recommended to prevent bites by malaria carrying mosquitoes - applying to clothing rather than skin means it isn't sweated off so easily; sleep under mosquito nets; wood smoke can be good for keeping insects away, but it's also good at keeping humans away!

Bites are usually infected because they are scratched by finger nails, sometimes while asleep. If you can make yourself run your finger round the bite instead of scratching across, this can take away the sensation. There are also zapper devices to take away the itch feeling. Worth considering taking antihistamaine tablets, especially before going to sleep, to prevent chance of scratching in your sleep.

If you find someone who gets bitten more than you - stick with them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back