Holidays and team dinners etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
You know when you are asked if you have any dietary requirements - how do you answer?

Do you say yes diabetic and see what someone believes is suitable?

or do you just eat what you can and leave the rest?

I suppose for a team dinner I could always have something to eat before going and then be able to leave food behind, after all will mostly be there with the team and the food would be secondary.

But holidays ... ?

Hi Marg

I always say no - most of the time at dinner parties we eat healthily anyway - and if I'm faced with something I don't want to eat - I don't. All my friends know I have diabetes. When I was on holiday it was mainly buffet - so I could choose pretty much what I wanted to eat. Fortunately for me it was so hot that mainly consisted of salad anyway, and grilled fish or chicken, with the odd spoon of rice with my dinner. I just tried not to over indulge and eat a variety (and lots of) the good stuff and go light on the carbs?

Hi 🙂
I have been to one celebration dinner that was part of a business event and I specified that I was diabetic and was given a gorgeous fruit salad for dessert instead of a sugary cheesecake and I got my own jug of water instead of fruit juice 🙂 However I don't know whether this would be the case everywhere else. Also I always have to specify that I'm Vegetarian, but that's a little beside the point I know and in my experience of this people don't always understand what is suitable and what's not so I think that specifying any requirements can be pretty hit and miss.
Hope that you enjoy any future team dinners or events that you attend 🙂
Lucy x

I never specify that I'm diabetic, only that I'm vegetarian. But I think it's a bit different for carb counting type 1s, I don't have to worry about the quantity of carbs I eat just take enough insulin to counter them. And on a pump that's pretty easy even during a meal.

I wouldn't specify that I have diabetes, because i wouldn't want to see what they think is a sutiable meal for me. i can eat pretty much what everyone else is eating and adjust my insulin.

We usually go on all inclusive holidays so there is large buffets and can choose what i want. I can be heavy or light on the carbs depending on how I feel. Have on occasion had pasta, rice, potato and bread roll on my plate all at one meal just to give myself a challenge!

I would say i was diabetic for a plane meal as i have heard they are a bit nicer than the slop they already serve, i am off to a all inclusive in 20 days so will have a large range to choose from, which the food is top notch, the only thing should look out for is the pump vending machines with the diet coke, and will be leaving the deserts out and opting for fresh fruit instead.

Thanks everyone. I am beginning to think I will not mention diabetes as EVERYONE seems to be an expert!!! Everyone but me that is. Thanks to this site and the internet I am not listening to all the stories of strict diets, can't eat this, can't drink that, etc.

I never specify when I am invited to dos or other functions. If the dessert is very sugary I skip saying the main course was delicious and I am full up, but the dessert looks delicious anyway. Then I find some fruit or something more appropriate later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back