Holiday

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 34756
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 34756

Has anyone got any useful travel tips for travelling abroad this summer?

Not medical related but remember to check the issue date of your passport as well as the expiry date. A friend was refused travel despite having 6 months left on theirs, their passport was issued for 10 years and 9 months because they renewed before the old one expired, since brexit its only valid for 10 years from the issue date within the EU.

Can anyone afford to go on holiday with the price of electric and gas going up as it has?

Not all that rare I am afraid. Plus the hold temperature is too low for insulin.

Can anyone afford to go on holiday with the price of electric and gas going up as it has?
Some of us travel for work. Not all airline travel is holiday and the advice is the same when taking diabetes stuff on holiday or on a business trip.

My advice is
- take at least twice as much of everything as you think you will need. If you use reusable pens, take spares, if you use a meter take batteries, if you use a pump, take as well, ...
- keep everything in your hand luggage
- get a reusable letter from your DSN/diabetes consultant
- use Frio if you are going somewhere hot
- keep your hypo treatment with you in your seat - I can tell you from experience that the wrath of the air crew if you stand to get your dextrose out of the overhead locker when taking off is nearly as bad as suffering from a hypo.
- expect to make mistakes but don't let that ruin your trip.

Get a couple or three of wallets/purse and some back up identification: driving licence, diplomas, utility bills. Then:
  • Keep your driving licence and passport in different wallets along with your main stash of ready cash
  • Keep a small amount of spending cash in the third wallet
  • Keep your credit card some where else
That way, you will only need to flash the wallet with a small amount of cash, and, if the worst happens, you have plenty of backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back