holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

litto-miss-loz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hey peeps

im wantin to go on hol this year to greece and it will be for two weeks for my friends sisters wedding..
last year i went to spain for a week and i coped fine with the diabetes but this year it would be two weeks and just wondered if anyone has been abroad for two weeks (which im sure most of you have) and how you have coped with your diabetes for that length of time abroad and with the heat etc

any advice would be appreciated

fanks over and out :D:D

2 weeks in the sun!! Well jealous, only be away for 3 days since I got this thang! Could do with a summer hol this year though.

I guess it would be the same advise as you got last time, keep your gear cool, plenty of stock, work out what it's called over there incase you need to get some. Check your travel insurance. I'm sure others will pop on soon with proper advice!

:D

2 weeks in the sun!! Well jealous, only be away for 3 days since I got this thang! Could do with a summer hol this year though.

I guess it would be the same advise as you got last time, keep your gear cool, plenty of stock, work out what it's called over there incase you need to get some. Check your travel insurance. I'm sure others will pop on soon with proper advice!

:D

Lol well i think you should book something up and go away for two weeks before june then let me know how u got on 😛

cheers dears 🙂

We had two weeks in Spain last year, self catering. Make sure you have plenty of "supplies". I'm on insulin x 4 per day (Novorapid and Levimir). They last for more than two weeks out of the fridge, but I put them in on arrival. Also plenty of test strips and needles. Just be careful when in the heat as the insulin and bs levels can be affected. There's plenty of info available, but as usual we are all different, so need to monitor yourself - but go for it and enjoy!!

We had two weeks in Spain last year, self catering. Make sure you have plenty of "supplies". I'm on insulin x 4 per day (Novorapid and Levimir). They last for more than two weeks out of the fridge, but I put them in on arrival. Also plenty of test strips and needles. Just be careful when in the heat as the insulin and bs levels can be affected. There's plenty of info available, but as usual we are all different, so need to monitor yourself - but go for it and enjoy!!

kk 🙂 thanks

We did Corfu, again in August for two weeks, it might be the last time though for me.

Frio wallets are critical, don't put your insulin in the top of the fridge, drink bottled water, stay in the shade as much as reasonable, but get a great tan.

June isn't too bad heat wise.

Eating local food isn't too bad as certainly the local food in Corfu while being meat or fish based, the do eat potatoes or rice with the meal. And bread.

Greek food is superb, find the small family run places to eat!

Lunchtime can be tricky as they are often thin on carbs, we tend to buy some bread and local pies from the baker, take a knife and something to put on the bread, my favourite is honey when on the beach, chasing after kids and snorkeling is ok, but the sunbathing and drinking beer is a killer 🙄

Don't forget our postcards and ENJOY!

Enjoy the holiday and the wedding.

There is lots of advice here and I'm reasonably certain there is advice about traveling and holidays on the DUK site too.

Hi there,

I went to Japan last year in the height of summer and it was the hottest and most humid place on earth. We went on quite a lot of walking tours and I experiences SO many hypos, one to the point of collapse (think I was exhausted from so many hypos). It was so hot that by BM monitor steamed up when I took it out! Same thing happened in Costa Rica. I actually ended up reducing my long-acting insulin by quite a bit which seemed to help.

If you are being active in severe heat my advice would be to carry PLENTY of sugar! The other thing I have is a frio bag. They keep your insulin cool when out and about and on the beach etc. They are amazing! http://www.friouk.com/

Have a great time - off to Carribean in a few weeks myself!:D
Lins.x

Hello,

I've been to Florida for 3 weeks, Spain for 2 weeks and Honeymoon in Thailand for 2 weeks while diabetic.

The heat and humidity tends to make my blood sugar drop so keep plenty of hypo treatments with you.

I also vouch for the FRIO bags. They are a must have for the heat as very few places give you a fridge in your room :( and they keep your insulin pens nice and cool when out and about.

Have a great holiday!

NiVZ

I went away for 2 weeks to Rhodes last year, and didn't take enough supplies really. I'd done 3 abroad sun holidays and was a bit too relaxed, I came home using the last of my cartridges, both novorapid and lantus, when I thought I had taken plenty. So any problems or increased insulin needs I would have run out.

I also love my frio pouch for holiday, mine has come on 4 holidays with me so far, very useful.

I know lots of people love Frio pouches, but I've never needed them, even for long trips to tropical regions eg 3 weeks trekking in Ecuador, 2 weeks independent travel round Dominican Republic, 6 week trip to Chile & Argentina, 3.5 month expedition to Chile, Falklands & South Georgia, 1 week trekking in Atlas Mtns in Morocco, 1 week hut to hut ski touring in Norway, 2 weeks trekking in Sardinia etc. I just use a stainless thermos flask (no water for air travel), which gives far more physical protection against damage than Frio pouches, or sometimes just a plastic tub; keep insulin out of direct sun, bus holds etc; use damp cloth for cooling by evaporation etc. I calculate to take 50% excess of all supplies, assuming normal home usage, but in fact, combination of warmer temperatures and more activity means I return home with lots.
I just checked my travel letter to see that it's suitable in view of recent security alerts, ready for my trip to Norway to go nordic skiing and visit friends next month.
Have a great trip. My general travel tip is to learn at least a few words of whatever lanaguage you are visiting - it makes travel more interesting, and sometimes is very important.

I went away for 2 weeks to Rhodes last year, and didn't take enough supplies really. I'd done 3 abroad sun holidays and was a bit too relaxed, I came home using the last of my cartridges, both novorapid and lantus, when I thought I had taken plenty. So any problems or increased insulin needs I would have run out.

I also love my frio pouch for holiday, mine has come on 4 holidays with me so far, very useful.

is rhodes nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back