Holiday??

Status
Not open for further replies.

imtrying

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys,

I really hope this doesn't come across as a very vain question, but I was thinking what do you all do when you go on holiday abroad?

I like to spend 2 weeks sat by the pool in hot climates, being in and out the pool 🙂 ....so would I just not use a pump for those 2 weeks, and go back to MDI until back in the UK?

Thanks

Hi guys,

I really hope this doesn't come across as a very vain question, but I was thinking what do you all do when you go on holiday abroad?

I like to spend 2 weeks sat by the pool in hot climates, being in and out the pool 🙂 ....so would I just not use a pump for those 2 weeks, and go back to MDI until back in the UK?

Thanks

Hi Katie,

I've been on a few 'hot and sunny' holidays since starting my pump, I just disconnect if going into the sea or pool, just be careful about sand! Not really had a problem to be fair although best to try and keep your pump out of the hot sun. I certainly would not go back onto MDI for 2 weeks.......or EVER actually! 🙂

I'm a beach babe. So I walk to the beach, get my slave to erect my parasol and spread my towel upon the strand and I'm set.

I bung El Pumpo in a ziplock bag so if it does leap into the sand, it has less chance of being buried. Disconnect when I go in the sea. Am a tad paranoid about making sure I put a 'bung' on the cannula though, dunno what bugs are lurking in the water do you?

(And as they say about water anyway - don't wanna drink that! - fish sh*? in it !)

Hello 🙂

Well just don't do what I did - jumped off a boat into the gorgeous blue Thailand waters completely forgetting I had on my pump. Didn't realise until I got out of the water and took off my tshirt (pump had been clipped to bikini top) - major whoops. But shows you how much you forget that you're wearing one!

I was on a round-the-world trip and my next stop was Australia. Luckily I had a couple of back-up insulin pens with me and the lovely people at Medtronic sent me a brand new replacement pump to Australia 🙂

I also had a waterproof pouch thing but never trusted it to fully submerge it - goog for keeping sand out though which can play havoc with it. I love it too much now to take it off for long periods of time - maybe if I knew I was going to be doing lots of driving etc I'd take a 2-week break...

Katie

I always wear mine on holiday - it would feel like a step backwards to have the inconvenience of going back to MDI.

I've used an Aquapac to keep the pump dry when white water rafting. Other than that I just clip it to my bikini and remove it if I'm going in the water.

If I remember, I sometimes put the cannular in my buttocks, where they're covered by the bikini bottoms, rather than have it visible on my thigh.

I always wear mine on holiday - it would feel like a step backwards to have the inconvenience of going back to MDI.

I've used an Aquapac to keep the pump dry when white water rafting. Other than that I just clip it to my bikini and remove it if I'm going in the water.

If I remember, I sometimes put the cannular in my buttocks, where they're covered by the bikini bottoms, rather than have it visible on my thigh.

Sorry, slightly off-topic, but Alison, do you find much (if any) difference in absorption between abdomen/back/buttocks/thigh?

I'm thinking of venturing out a little and wonder if I need to expect any variation.

Sorry, slightly off-topic, but Alison, do you find much (if any) difference in absorption between abdomen/back/buttocks/thigh?

I'm thinking of venturing out a little and wonder if I need to expect any variation.

No, I don't notice any difference. I've heard other people say they do, but I don't, even when I track it closely with the CGM. I've always rotated sites a lot, so I don't have any scar tissue isses which can contribute to absorption differences, other than that, perhaps I'm just lucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back