Holiday in Thailand

Valley1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’m off to Thailand for 3 weeks in January. Being a type 2 diabetic I’m naturally worried about what I will eat! I’ve been to Thailand before, many years ago, when I was younger and didn’t have this issue! I remember really enjoying the food, but from my current research I note that most Thai food contains a lot of sugar and carbs! Is there anyone on this forum who has been to Thailand and/or can give me some advice. Thank you.

Are you on any meds for the diabetes @Valley1 ? I find Thai food pretty good. Obviously I’m Type 1 so it’s slightly different for me, but all you’d have to do is watch your portion of rice or noodles. It will probably be easiest to go for dishes that come with separate carbs rather than have the carbs mixed in. Avoid the desserts as they are quite sweet (but delicious!) and focus on protein, veg and small amounts of rice/noodles.

I’m on 1000mg Metformin once a day. Thanks, yes this is my plan, however, I was always a fan of Pad Thai, but will now have to avoid! Rice spikes my glucose level, so a definite no unless I’m able to work it off ha ha! I haven’t got a very sweet tooth now, so shouldn’t be attracted to the deserts.

Pad Thai is probably a bit carby for you, but there’s nothing to stop you having a spoonful if you get the chance. I love Thai food and I think you’ll be spoilt for choice. It always tastes so fresh and yummy, carbs or no carbs 🙂

We spend several weeks a year in that part of the world, @Valley1 . This year, it was all of Q1.

Personally, I just don't have rice or noodles and avoid obviously sweet things, like sweet and sour, or dishes described as containing sweet chilli.

Thai dishes will traditionally contain salty, spicy, sour and sweet elements, and even dishes you'd never guess it havea spoonful of sugar in there, to tick that box.

I find adopting the "rule" of no rice or noodles returns me great A1c results on my return home. I do also always lose a bit of weight, so do be careful of that if you are concerned. When I get a bit light, I just have regular pork crackling, which is everywhere - with or without pork meat attached.

It's a great place, and the climate really lends itself (to me anyway) to lots of walking. It's amazing what you see just having a stroll, and the new "friends" you meet.

Enjoy. Hopefully we'll be there at the same time.

Thank you for this good advice. It must be great spending so much time there; I love Thailand! As a rule I don’t eat pasta, rice, noodles and potatoes etc, so hopefully I won’t find it a problem! I’m a skinny diabetic, so I manage my weight carefully. The pork crackling sounds like an ideal snack. I’m really looking forward to the trip, so I don’t want my food choices to cause a problem. Enjoy your stay in Thailand

Have a wonderful trip @Valley1

Hopefully the extra walking and the warmer temperatures (which can aid insulin sensitivity) will allow you a wide range of options without too much BG upheaval. 🙂

Ah...Thailand....that's one country on my bucket list that I want to visit.I plan to visit there in the next two years so have a yourself a great holiday.

Back