Holiday Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackster70

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello Everyone. I'm off to Menora soon and I just wanted to know if any Type 2s out there struggled with knowing what to eat. I don't eat fish which is really frustrating because fish is one of the main dishes. I am trying to reduce my diabetes by eating healthier and being careful with carbs. My level was 50 when I was diagnosed in May. Any suggestions would help me. Thank you

In my previous post "Holiday Help"I meant to say has anyone struggled knowing what to eat when abroad. Rather than just what to eat lol.

You know that carbs are the issue. Somewhere hot means you may be happier with more salad and veg along with your protein and to keep your bread, potatoes, rice and pasta etc to a minimum. Watch the booze as that can be carby too. Don’t forget you can offset some of the carbs with exercise so think about walking, swimming etc too. But mostly enjoy yourself.

Lol so basically the same boring food I have at home. At this rate I'm going to look like a salad. I don't really drink so that isn't an issue. I was going for a more relaxing vibe holiday so apart from walking to the beach or the shops I won't be doing much exercise. Thank you for replying though, it's very kind of you.

Unless you’re going for months, I wouldn’t worry too much @Jackster70 Your HbA1C isn’t very high and it’s important you enjoy your holiday too, so an occasional treat isn’t going to do any harm, especially as you’ll probably be more active too.

As for ‘knowing what to eat’, the advice is the same wherever you are. Watch your carbs and eat plenty of green veg and non-carby veg. Yes, not liking fish makes it a bit harder, but there’ll be sausages, cheeses and meat.

Lol so basically the same boring food I have at home. At this rate I'm going to look like a salad. I don't really drink so that isn't an issue. I was going for a more relaxing vibe holiday so apart from walking to the beach or the shops I won't be doing much exercise. Thank you for replying though, it's very kind of you.
You are sometimes better off choosing 2 starters instead of a main course as they often come with the inevitable chips which accompany everything as places abroad seem to think that is what Brits have.
You will find there will be lots to choose from even if you go easy on carbs. Probably nice cheeses.
I am shocked that you are having boring food at home, even though I follow a low carb regime I still have flavoursome meals. curry, chillies, tray bakes, grilled meats with herbs and spices and stirfrys and lots veg and salads.

Thank you for your help. I still can't get over the fact I can have cheese that I forget I can. It sounds like you enjoy cooking and are good at finding recipes. I hate cooking with a passion but my mum tries her best to vary things. We are having Pinch of Nom recipes which are great. Before anyone reads this part, I know they don't give the carb reading but they have been helping loads. I also have stir fry a lot. I'm eating a salad everyday for lunch which is so boring so try not to have too much at night too. I did have 2 starters when I went out to celebrate my birthday the other week so that's a really good top thank you.

Hi Inka. Thank you. You are fully getting me as a person and an eater. Your advice is on my level. I get confused with non carby veg. Are we talking potatoes and carrots? What else would come under that? Sounds like I don't just have to stick to chicken and salad

Thank you for your help. I still can't get over the fact I can have cheese that I forget I can. It sounds like you enjoy cooking and are good at finding recipes. I hate cooking with a passion but my mum tries her best to vary things. We are having Pinch of Nom recipes which are great. Before anyone reads this part, I know they don't give the carb reading but they have been helping loads. I also have stir fry a lot. I'm eating a salad everyday for lunch which is so boring so try not to have too much at night too. I did have 2 starters when I went out to celebrate my birthday the other week so that's a really good top thank you.
You might find some more exciting salad ideas in this link
The recipes in the Caldesi The Diebetes weight loss cook book are also very good.
sugarfreelondoner website also has both sweet and savoury low carb recipes.

Hi Inka. Thank you. You are fully getting me as a person and an eater. Your advice is on my level. I get confused with non carby veg. Are we talking potatoes and carrots? What else would come under that? Sounds like I don't just have to stick to chicken and salad
There are scales of carby veg, potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots being the highest, peas, broad beans, middleish, green veg, mangetout, green beans, celeriac, swede, butternut squash. peppers, pretty low. Tomatoes can be quite high especially the really sweet cherry ones.
I have rule of thumb and wouldn't have two carby veg in one meal.
You might find the book or app Carbs and Cals useful as it gives the carb value for different portions of a whole range of foods and meals so it makes comparisons easier or of course an internet search for Carbs of FOOD X or packets in the nutritional information usually on the back (ignore the traffic light system, it is as much use as a chocolate teapot)

In my previous post "Holiday Help"I meant to say has anyone struggled knowing what to eat when abroad. Rather than just what to eat lol.
No.
Since diagnosed I’ve been to Italy and Majorca and had no problems. Italy was great, most restaurants had superb fish and meat dishes. Far easier than the U.K.

No.
Since diagnosed I’ve been to Italy and Majorca and had no problems. Italy was great, most restaurants had superb fish and meat dishes. Far easier than the U.K.
Love your response. Nice and clear, thank you. I don't eat fish but it sounds like I will still enjoy the food.

Carrots, yes, but not potatoes. Carrots are low carb like green veg, but potatoes are carby so I kind of mentally put them in the same group as pasta, rice and bread even though they’re technically vegetables. You don’t have to totally avoid potatoes, just bear in mind they have carbs and eat moderate portions.

Other non-green low carb veg are things like tomatoes, aubergines, radishes, red peppers, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back