holiday and pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkk1970

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi.we went on holiday last week in a caravan in the UK and it was freezing in the night and when you woke up in the morning you could see your breath !!!!! Anyway, I went to check my little boys levels and the pump handset wouldn't come on, I had only changed the battery the week before, and also in the middle of the night I got the message please warm up before using. My question is has anyone else had temperature problems. Also during the holiday his levels went up and since we have come home his levels are 15+ at times. Any advice, we were just getting things a little more stable and here we are once again back where we started. Harry is 4 and has been on the pump since Feb and I just want to throw it away....thanks for reading..helen

Hi.we went on holiday last week in a caravan in the UK and it was freezing in the night and when you woke up in the morning you could see your breath !!!!! Anyway, I went to check my little boys levels and the pump handset wouldn't come on, I had only changed the battery the week before, and also in the middle of the night I got the message please warm up before using. My question is has anyone else had temperature problems. Also during the holiday his levels went up and since we have come home his levels are 15+ at times. Any advice, we were just getting things a little more stable and here we are once again back where we started. Harry is 4 and has been on the pump since Feb and I just want to throw it away....thanks for reading..helen
Hi Helen,

Cold temperatures play havoc with batteries! We had a caravan holiday in the Jura mountains in France a few years back, and though it was July the temp at night dropped close to freezing. My son's glucose meter AND his spare meter both failed to work the next morning, as did my camera and my watch! We were miles from anywhere in a region where shops don't open on Sundays and in any case those little round flat batteries are hard to find! He didn't have his pump then. It was scary flying blind, made me realise how dependent he is on these machines. However the solution is to sleep with the meters (and pump handset) tucked up with you under the covers! The pump should be ok as it's warm and cosy against his body. We always do this now when camping.

Don't give up on the pump🙂 it's inevitable with little ones that things change constantly, with growth hormones, illness, change of routine, etc etc. My son's insulin needs have gone up 20% over the Easter holidays, and still we are getting some annoying double figures at times, but I know after a couple of days back in the school routine we will be needing to reduce all the ratios and basals. No such thing as stable for us - we might get 2 or 3 in-range days in a row if we're lucky, then something will need tweaking again.....

My bg meter in van goes down a lot when cold but never pump ? Once had a cannon digital camera with me on motorbike trip in alpes. Was ok at the bottom of hill Got to top & snow drifts, got to other side camera knacked. What type of pump is it cos i would get it checked to be on safe side. Cold does do electronics in sometimes. Good luck sorting 🙂

My bg meter in van goes down a lot when cold but never pump ? Once had a cannon digital camera with me on motorbike trip in alpes. Was ok at the bottom of hill Got to top & snow drifts, got to other side camera knacked. What type of pump is it cos i would get it checked to be on safe side. Cold does do electronics in sometimes. Good luck sorting 🙂
I'm guessing he has an Accu chek combo, and it was the handset's battery which gave out. The combo is great for little kids, as parents can bolus from the handset, no need to find the pump under the duvet/sleeping child! So the pump battery was prob ok but with this pump you need the handset to bolus (think it also doubles as a glucose meter??).
We couldn't have this pump for my son as he would likely lose the handset!

As the pump wasn't to happy about the cold, how cold was it in the caravan?
As in has the insulin been affected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back