hoisin duck and fried rice?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patricia

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hello all

This is probably another one of those totally random things and the thread will disappear like a stone...BUT we've noticed twice now (at least) that hoisin duck is incredibly difficult to dose. Last night was a disaster.

We bolused for the pancakes and hoisin sauce, we think pretty accurately...the packet says 5g CHO per pancake. The sauce is about 50% sugar.

He crashes big time. Hmm.. Last night was complicated by rice, (fried) -- does anyone else have this?

For pumpers, we did our usual rice dual wave, which has worked well for other rices. Disaster last night, scraping the bottom ALL NIGHT. We were up four times. 😱

Is fried rice different? Is hoisin weird to manage? Or is it the fatty duck?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Ah ha right well now !!! Is this part of a Chinese take away or something? We only have that as part of a takeaway and you just can't count it at all. If you watch these TV programmes, take the F-Word for starters, they have just had two Chinese and then Thai restaurants taking part and the amount of sugar they shoved into the main dishes and rice etc was amazing, just goes to show.

So we guess and we say between 80 and 90 carbs for the whole meal. It started at 80 three years ago and I decided she ate more now so went for 100 and she hypoed !! We stick at 80 to 90 still and do 50/50 over 5 hours ! Sometimes I have to top up with bolus' and ignore the active insulin if she creeps up or sometimes after a few hours I have to cancel the dual wave and shove the rest in as a bolus but then correct later.

Not sure that has helped as it is a total mish mash of info 😛

Sorry P, I cant really help! I like chinese food but dont eat it much since the "D" purely for the same reason, it is hard t manage.

Interesting what you say Adrienne about all the sugar in it. I may be best t stay off it unless for a treat once in a while.

Hi guys

Meant to say this wasn't part of a take-away, though the pancakes and hoisin were store bought...All else made at home...Erk.

Well in that case not sure really. If could be that he is getting a lot more upfront than needed. Jessica can easily crash quickly when having rice and has done after Chinese but gone high loads later.

I think the combination of the fat in the duck, the rice plus the fact it was fried so more fat that you may have needed to do the whole bolus as a dual wave rather just the rice. Just thinking out loud really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back