Hints for putting wetsuit on with Freestyle Libre sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akadingbat

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hi everyone, my partner does a lot of wild swimming....yes even in winter!!! We have sorted out the extra waterproofing as a ‘just in case’ using the tegaderm but we were just after some hints for getting the wetsuit on and off without dislodging the Freestyle Libre sensor which has just been ‘fitted’ today. All advice gratefully received, thanks.

Hi everyone, my partner does a lot of wild swimming....yes even in winter!!! We have sorted out the extra waterproofing as a ‘just in case’ using the tegaderm but we were just after some hints for getting the wetsuit on and off without dislodging the Freestyle Libre sensor which has just been ‘fitted’ today. All advice gratefully received, thanks.

Does she wear a rash vest or dive skin under her wetsuit? Depending upon how high the sensor is on her arm, the sleeve should cover it. She might also like to try using talc on both her arm and inside the wetsuit sleeve.

I lost weight very fast after diagnosis, so my wetsuit got loose(r than was really helpful) after diagnosis. The Libre wasn't available then, so was a bit of a moot point. Later, when I replaced my wetsuit and was using the Libre, I applied the sensor to either my lower abdomen or upper, outer chest, so that it would be hidden by my bikini.

Thanks for that AndBreathe, a rash vest in winter but not in summer. We were just worried about whether or not the wetsuit would be too tight going over the sensor causing it to fail or forcing it to come off. Looks as if you just carry on as normal.

Thanks for that AndBreathe, a rash vest in winter but not in summer. We were just worried about whether or not the wetsuit would be too tight going over the sensor causing it to fail or forcing it to come off. Looks as if you just carry on as normal.

You may find your partner experiences compression lows, if his/her wetsuit is very tight. As virtually all my diving has been in the tropics, my wetsuits have been mainly 2mm, shorties, so possibly more flexible. In my circumstances, my wetsuits have usually been to stop the diving kit chafing, and when snorkling, for sun protection, rather than warmth.

I'm a great believer that T2 lives with me, rather than I with it. I get on with my life. It hasn't ever stopped me doing anything.

If your partner is T1, the burden of management may be a bit more.

I used to do a lot in the North Sea. Windsurfing. Jet-Ski & Catamaran, 3 times a week through out the year. Icey lakes etc. Before Libres came out. Try top of arm & put your arm I last with care. Or with help. Or cut wet suit ? Good luck & keep at it 🙂

You may find your partner experiences compression lows, if his/her wetsuit is very tight. As virtually all my diving has been in the tropics, my wetsuits have been mainly 2mm, shorties, so possibly more flexible. In my circumstances, my wetsuits have usually been to stop the diving kit chafing, and when snorkling, for sun protection, rather than warmth.

I'm a great believer that T2 lives with me, rather than I with it. I get on with my life. It hasn't ever stopped me doing anything.

If your partner is T1, the burden of management may be a bit more.

Thanks AndBreathe, my partner is one of these nutters who actually chooses just to swim in Scottish Lochs all year round, no diving just swimming!! She and her swimming buddies have even been known to break the ice!! I stick to the kayak and do the safety boat bit!!

I used to do a lot in the North Sea. Windsurfing. Jet-Ski & Catamaran, 3 times a week through out the year. Icey lakes etc. Before Libres came out. Try top of arm & put your arm I last with care. Or with help. Or cut wet suit ? Good luck & keep at it 🙂
Thanks Hobie, good to know there are other nutters out there braving the elements!! 🙂 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back