Highs ! Is the honeymoon phase over

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseH

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hello,
I’m just posting for advice, ( I’ve emailed my diabetes team ) over Christmas I’ve experienced quite high sugars especially around evening meals , this is understandable as a lot of afternoon meals have been buffets and so on so been quite difficult to judge. However now back to eating normal meals I’m still experiencing quite big highs , I’m at 14 currently after sausage barms on brown bread and chips even after splitting due to the fat , I’ve also found snacks even if under 10grams are having an affect . This may just be due to not eating as clean as usual over Christmas but don’t seem to be seeing my own pancreas kicking in as it did previously. I’m going to try eat as clean as possible over the next few days and see if this is still continuing. It may also be worthy of noting I’m on my monthly cycle which I was told wouldn’t have an affect really while in the honey moon phase but if that’s over may be a factor.

Are you sure that it’s not that your basal insulin needs adjusting?

I’ve been on this 6 units of background insulin for a while now and seems to work well. this has only been recently like the past week or so. So I don’t think so but honestly I was only diagnosed in august and I’m still trying to understand it all x

The exact same thing has happened to me over the last week or so.

I was advised like you have to carry out a Basel test so I will be starting that on Monday.

But for time being additional insulin at meal times.

I currently take 14 units of Levemir at night time. How about you?

The exact same thing has happened to me over the last week or so.

I was advised like you have to carry out a Basel test so I will be starting that on Monday.

But for time being additional insulin at meal times.

I currently take 14 units of Levemir at night time. How about you?
Oh sorry this is happening to you but somehow makes you feel a bit less alone in this weird illness, I take 6 units of level or at night and in the morning . After the DKA and I left the hospital I was on 10 morning and night but gradually been taken down , and how do they do a Basel test ?? Xx

I’m no expert on this but:
The idea is that you do not eat anything over the course of 24 hours (spilt over different days) then monitor your levels to make sure they stay ‘steady’

There’s more to it mind, I have tried to attach a link for you to read. You can just google it and find info or search this forum

I’m no expert on this but:
The idea is that you do not eat anything over the course of 24 hours (spilt over different days) then monitor your levels to make sure they stay ‘steady’

There’s more to it mind, I have tried to attach a link for you to read. You can just google it and find info or search this forum

Oh right thank you, I’ve never heard of this. Hope it goes well for you ☺️ Thanks for the advice x

I don't know why, but the HCPs never seem to tell t1s aboout basal testing, but it needs doing several times a year. Most especially if you are coming out of a honeymoon period. Or when the weather changes as hot weather can have a different affect on insulin needs than cold weather. Anyway, here's the document telling you how to do it.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back