Highland guide's 'weekly fix' advert criticised by ASA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
An advert featuring a syringe and needle and the words "the weekly fix" has been criticised by the advertising watchdog.

It appeared in What's On Highlands, a popular guide to events in Inverness and the central Highlands.

The compilers of the guide said the advert was designed to convey the "injection of information".

However, the Advertising Standards Authority said it was likely to imply recreational and illegal drug use.

The ASA said the advert was irresponsible and likely to cause serious and widespread offence and has banned it from being used again.

The free guide is mailed to homes in Inverness and surrounding communities and features film and music reviews, interviews with artists and listings of gigs, festivals and community events.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-28657731

It's a good little guide on the whole but I was one of those who complained about that image. I thought it was thoughtless, tactless and tasteless, and promoted something that really doesn't need any help up here. As I know from my last job, there's a serious problem with drug use in the Highlands, all that unguarded coastline makes smuggling a doddle. I'm glad there were others who complained too, maybe they'll take a bit more thought in future.

It's a good little guide on the whole but I was one of those who complained about that image. I thought it was thoughtless, tactless and tasteless, and promoted something that really doesn't need any help up here. As I know from my last job, there's a serious problem with drug use in the Highlands, all that unguarded coastline makes smuggling a doddle. I'm glad there were others who complained too, maybe they'll take a bit more thought in future.

Looks like one of those crass mistakes due to someone who really doesn't think about the potential impact of their 'clever' marketing ploy :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back