highest hba1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,
Following on from some of the threads to do with hypo's etc - I was just wondering what your highest hba1c was. Alex's was 12.8 on diagnosis😱 - but at the time i didnt realise this was really bad as i knew nothing about diabetes or hba1c's! Thankfully he is now down to 7.1 and we are hoping to get into the 6's with some hard work.🙂

Also, what length of time with a high hba1c causes complications. Alex went down from 12 to 9 in the first 3 months - but i do wonder if any damage had been done in that time.:(Bev

Hi highest for me was 9.4 on diagnosis and like you I had no idea if that meantr good or bad now of course i know more.Regarding complications i cant help on that one sorry x

I think my highest was about 12.2 and my lowest 7.5, but my lowest was a LONG time ago. Got my averages down on my meter though so fingers crossed!!!

Highest was 10.8, in the 6 months or so after I came out of the honeymoon period and lost all interest in taking care of myself. Lowest has been 7, the last two times it's been tested. Next one is due next tues, hoping to get into the 6s but have had a nightmare week or two so not sure if i'll make it or not.

Sophie, are you sure your meter average says 'HI' as your 30 day average? I am just puzzled because that would mean your levels are in the 40's or so to get a 'HI' average. But I am rubbish at maths so I may be wrong!:DBev

Sophie, are you sure your meter average says 'HI' as your 30 day average? I am just puzzled because that would mean your levels are in the 40's or so to get a 'HI' average. But I am rubbish at maths so I may be wrong!:DBev

Yep, I think my meter's broke though so I have a new one now, but nearly ALL of my results for the last weeks/months have been 'HI' ;(

Thankfully he is now down to 7.1 and we are hoping to get into the 6's with some hard work.🙂

Also, what length of time with a high hba1c causes complications. Alex went down from 12 to 9 in the first 3 months - but i do wonder if any damage had been done in that time.:(Bev

Wow! 7.1's pretty goodm Bev 🙂 The highest one I can remember was 11.8 I think. That was at uni but I'm pretty sure they were about that for a number of years. They are eventually starting to come down, my last 4 were 8.1, 8.1, 8.0 and 7.8. Still not 'good' but going in the right direction!

I just wish I knew (or had listened to!) all the info I now have... Bev, Alex's 3 months of high HbA1c's won't have done him good but at least you managed to bring them down so quickly. I worry SO much about the damage I've done to myself in the last 15 years. But I'm finally realising that it IS worth fighting and it is worth controlling, whatever the risks.

Wow! 7.1's pretty goodm Bev 🙂 The highest one I can remember was 11.8 I think. That was at uni but I'm pretty sure they were about that for a number of years. They are eventually starting to come down, my last 4 were 8.1, 8.1, 8.0 and 7.8. Still not 'good' but going in the right direction!

I just wish I knew (or had listened to!) all the info I now have... Bev, Alex's 3 months of high HbA1c's won't have done him good but at least you managed to bring them down so quickly. I worry SO much about the damage I've done to myself in the last 15 years. But I'm finally realising that it IS worth fighting and it is worth controlling, whatever the risks.

Munjeeta, your so right - it *is* worth fighting for - otherwise *diabetes* has won and I dont want that for Alex or anyone! We only managed to get this low using the pump - i doubt we would be under 9 on MDI! At least your actively doing something about it and thats all you can do - so keep up the good work Munjeeta.🙂Bev

Yep, I think my meter's broke though so I have a new one now, but nearly ALL of my results for the last weeks/months have been 'HI' ;(

Gosh Sophie - you must feel awful being 'HI' all the time!😱 Do you ever have ketones? If your levels have been coming down then the average cant be right - see what your new meter says in a week or so - it might give you a better idea.

What meter do you use? Alex uses the acu chek nano as its really small and he likes the gadgety side of things - boys eh!:DBev

Gosh Sophie - you must feel awful being 'HI' all the time!😱 Do you ever have ketones? If your levels have been coming down then the average cant be right - see what your new meter says in a week or so - it might give you a better idea.

What meter do you use? Alex uses the acu chek nano as its really small and he likes the gadgety side of things - boys eh!:DBev

Haha, my averages have come down now, 15.4 I think the last time I checked, my mums testing it with the control soloution thing later to see if it is actually broke. I use the Optium Exceed so I can test ketones aswel, and I have had ketones but usually very low, I've only had high ketones 3 times since being diagnosed.
Haha I saw a pink one I wanted but the Optium Exceed is the only one on the market that tests for ketones aswel :( Bummer :(

Your right - we have the optium exceed for ketones - but Alex prefers the nano for blood glucose as its so small. Lots of people still have to use the urine test strips for ketones - i dont think they are as accurate though.🙂Bev

I think the urine dip sticks only show levels of ketones from a couple of hours before or something like that

My highest HbA1c was 9.4% after eight years of following the "do not test" and "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate" advice given to me by healthcare professionals.

These days it's down to 5.1% - after starting to test and cutting back dramatically on the starchy carbohydrates - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, pizza etc.

My highest HbA1c was 9.4% after eight years of following the "do not test" and "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate" advice given to me by healthcare professionals.

These days it's down to 5.1% - after starting to test and cutting back dramatically on the starchy carbohydrates - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, pizza etc.

I would love to get Alex in the 5's - but its so hard with a growing child as they do need their carbs etc. Well done!:DBev

I would love to get Alex in the 5's - but its so hard with a growing child as they do need their carbs etc. Well done!:DBev

My mum got told there was nothing to gain from being any lower than 6/7, personal choice obv but 6/7 is fantastic aswel 🙂

My mum got told there was nothing to gain from being any lower than 6/7, personal choice obv but 6/7 is fantastic aswel 🙂

Sophie,
There is some truth in this. If the reason that your levels are 5 are because of good control - then thats the best thing you can strive for.:D But, if you only have these levels because you are always having hypo's then this isnt good for your body. It is different for type 2's though as they very rarely have hypo's and so they dont get the swings that a type 1 does.

What they tell us now is that the damage is done when your levels are swinging from high to low and back again. You must be pleased that your average is on its way down as being 15 or so is quite high as you know. If you would like to join us on one of our 'big nights in' then feel free - its open to anyone and you may benefit from looking at everyone else's levels etc'. I learn something new every week and about how to alter my use of the pump and Alex is benefiting and also tasting different foods - so he loves it!:DBev

I don't think I'll take part in it just yet but I will certainly look at the results, thank youu
;D

I don't think I'll take part in it just yet but I will certainly look at the results, thank youu
;D

Ok thats fine - but if there are certain foods you would like us all to try - then just let me know and i will put it on one week.🙂Bev

ive been following this thread my highest was when i was diagnoised i think it was 7.9 my last was 6.4 but as ive said before Im very lucky xxx
hey sophie im so glad you are involved in the forum keep reading the threads and learning you are obviously a bright young lady and taking control of the Diabetes is a good move xxxx🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back