higher blood sugar since on more metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonrudd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Could taking more metformin make your blood sugar rise?? i was told to take 4 tablets a day recently and since then my blood sugar has gone through the roof. its very odd!

I may be wrong Simon but it could be that you aren't well at the moment. I had a really sore throat a while back and thought nothing of it, but mentioned it to doc and for first time was prescribed strips! My sugars were higher than normal just due to this.
You have a very sore leg at the moment so it could be this.

Others may be on shortly to advise better.

Hi Simon im on metformin 3 a day and i cant really say it has made my BS rise ive been on them since March 09,i think Lucy has hit the nail on the head with the your not well suggestion,have you been on metformin long sorry i forget? x

Hi Simon

I'm on 6 metformin a day and 2 different insulins. I have man flu and tonsillitis at the minute and can say for certain that my blood sugar levels have been all over the place.

The more experienced guys on here will be able to say for certain if your rise in blood sugar levels are caused by your metformin or being ill (I personally suspect its being ill thats causing it)

regards

Andy

Andy - hope you feel better soon - tonsillitus is my nightmare - always feel so ill when get it!

Illness causes your blood sugar to rise - your body bumps out the glucose to use as energy to fight the lurgy, but you are unable to use it due to insufficient insulin, insulin resistance or a combination of the two.

Are you ill Simon ? or is there a specific time of day you find you get the high BMs.

Andy - hope you feel better soon :D i hate being ill :(

lucy, andy and Steffie - its strange as i've been on 2 metformin a day since i was diagnosed abut 18 months ago (roughly). my blood sugar has always been over the shop but i'd have thought that more metformin would lower my blood sugar but it hasnt. i'm not poorly at the moment - got something wrong with my foot (see earlier podiatrist post). yesterday my blood sugar was 15 and today it was 16. its very strange.

I think just your foot could be causing it too Simon as you said it is swollen and hurts? If worried might be worth a call to DSN?

good plan - it maybe the foot i suppose 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back