High white cells with diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello

It’s been noted that I have persistently high white blood cell counts, without any symptoms of infection. I’m having some investigations into this to make sure it’s nothing sinister, but it was mentioned that it could be because of my diabetes, and so checks are more to be cautious and monitor it.

So I was interested to know, if anyone else has had a full blood count done, have you also had white blood cells come back high because of diabetes?

I have had over range high white blood cells for quite a few years now. Doctor was quite worried at first, although no tests were done - just observation. As I did not get any worrying symptoms over those years it just seems to be accepted.

I do but only because I don’t have a spleen. They always ask me if I’ve had an infection and the answer is usually no. They’re never overly concerned and nor am I. I’ve never heard of it because of having diabetes though.

My full blood count was fine, though I'm only newly diagnosed

Mine were raised once, I was told this was due to my excessive stress at the time. They were back to normal a few months later. I haven’t heard of this being directly diabetes related, but i recon if you walked in the doctors office with a saucepan stuck on your head the betes would somehow be to blame :rofl:

Haha Emma that made me laugh! I think in the absence of any other cause they blame diabetes... i read online about white cells being linked to insulin resistance. The high white cells triggered a lot of investigation earlier in the year for meningitis, brain issues etc as it was accompanied by sudden severe headaches, and think the extra investigations now are because i've got the extreme tiredness, and referral to chronic fatigue clinic - CFS is a diagnosis of exclusion so have to check for other things first. I'm expecting its unrelated though as the white cells being high is something i've had for a few years

I have.. and high red blood cells. I'm having bloods taken again tomorrow. I've felt worried by it. I don't think it's diabetes related as I'm only just over the threshold at 50. I've had so many tests lately. I've asked for a scan of my pelvic area as I've had lower abdominal pains for 6 months and constant urination but they won't.

I have.. and high red blood cells. I'm having bloods taken again tomorrow. I've felt worried by it. I don't think it's diabetes related as I'm only just over the threshold at 50. I've had so many tests lately. I've asked for a scan of my pelvic area as I've had lower abdominal pains for 6 months and constant urination but they won't.
Sorry to hear you're struggling too, are your bloods tomorrow to look into the causes of it?

Yes. I’m having a CA125 for cancer markers.. not sure what the other tests are for.
I had the cancer marker tests done, when that came back negative I was sent for an internal pelvic scan that picked up womb hyperplasia. Funnily enough my pelvic pain was considerably worse as I brought my sugars down xx

I had the cancer marker tests done, when that came back negative I was sent for an internal pelvic scan that picked up womb hyperplasia. Funnily enough my pelvic pain was considerably worse as I brought my sugars down xx
I just don’t know what to think all of this is. I’ve been trying to sort it for months. I’m up several times a night to the loo and I’m knackered! I’ve never heard of womb hyperplasia. I’ll Google it. I’ve asked for a pelvic scan and even said I’d pay.

I just don’t know what to think all of this is. I’ve been trying to sort it for months. I’m up several times a night to the loo and I’m knackered! I’ve never heard of womb hyperplasia. I’ll Google it. I’ve asked for a pelvic scan and even said I’d pay.
If you can afford to pay for the scan, have a Google to see what private hospitals are near you and give them a call. They can usually refer back to NHS if anything shows up

The extra tests I’m having tomorrow are full blood count (had that before but guess they’re repeating to confirm it), iron studies (iron and IBC), blood film, and reticulocyte count. Not entirely sure what the results would mean for any of those other than the iron one sounds like a more specific iron check than the iron check I had before.

Yes. I’m having a CA125 for cancer markers.. not sure what the other tests are for.
I had that a couple of months ago for heartburn type pains, difficulty swallowing. They came back raised, I was absolutely past myself, got fast tracked to gynaecology. I spent a very stressed out two weeks. Everything was fine in that area but I found out my “score” wasn’t even that high. If I’d had that explained to me at the start I wouldn’t have spent two weeks thinking I had ovarian cancer. I would suggest, if by chance they are raised, that you ask them to explain the numbers to you. I’m now being referred to gastric team. Got an appointment in November! :(
Good luck and hope things turn out ok for you.

I recently had my spleen and most of my pancreas removed which means I'm now diabetic. While I was in hospital my white count was high but I had no infection. The docs put it down to having no spleen.

If you can afford to pay for the scan, have a Google to see what private hospitals are near you and give them a call. They can usually refer back to NHS if anything shows up
I had that a couple of months ago for heartburn type pains, difficulty swallowing. They came back raised, I was absolutely past myself, got fast tracked to gynaecology. I spent a very stressed out two weeks. Everything was fine in that area but I found out my “score” wasn’t even that high. If I’d had that explained to me at the start I wouldn’t have spent two weeks thinking I had ovarian cancer. I would suggest, if by chance they are raised, that you ask them to explain the numbers to you. I’m now being referred to gastric team. Got an appointment in November! :(
I've googled for private scans.. they all want referrals from my GP. I shall push it further when I know more on Friday hopefully. eggyg I too have been worried about ovarian cancer, I even bought some CA125 tests, they were negative but I don't know how accurate they are. Having had a missed diagnosis of colon cancer in the past, I do try and push them particularly when bowel cancer can spread to the ovaries but it's hopeless. I know I have health anxiety due to my health problems in the past. I'm sure it totally pees them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back