High vit B12 is it linked to type 2?

Moggsuk

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all , been on metaphormin for a few years and the tablet to help suger get out in your wee!

Lately my B12 has tripled above normal

I’ve had cancer in the past but has anyone else had high B12?

Obviously they are sending me to hemo to look for leukaemia but worth asking

Hi all , been on metaphormin for a few years and the tablet to help suger get out in your wee!

Lately my B12 has tripled above normal

I’ve had cancer in the past but has anyone else had high B12?

Obviously they are sending me to hemo to look for leukaemia but worth asking
Metformin (if that is what it is) just helps the body use the insulin it produces more effectively and reduces the release of glucose by the liver, it does not act directly on food. It is a different medication, the flozin group which encourages the kidneys to excrete excess glucose via urine.
The effect of metformin can be to prevent vit B12 from being absorbed from food so long term use id more likely to make people's B12 low not high.
It may therefore be there is some other cause which should be investigated depending on how far out of range it is. Have a word with your GP.

My B12 levels were noted as higher than normal back in March. This was just before my diabetes diagnosis when they were checking for various things. The doctor was more concerned if the levels were low so no further action taken.

My B12 levels were noted as higher than normal back in March. This was just before my diabetes diagnosis when they were checking for various things. The doctor was more concerned if the levels were low so no further action taken.
Yeah I’m being investigated for leukaemia but was just asking , thanks for the reply

Yeah I’m being investigated for leukaemia but was just asking , thanks for the reply
Good luck with your testing. Fingers crossed for you.<3

Back