High sugar levels in the evenings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxley 83

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
My sugar levels are always under 10 in the morning and most afternoon's, however in the evening before bed they are always 16+. I was only diagnosed with type 1 last week.

Hi @Foxley 83 It’s still very, very early days for you so it’s normal that your levels are a bit up and down. So don’t panic or be disheartened.

What time do you eat your evening meal and are you counting the carbs in it?

I normally having my evening meals about 6ish. I normally have a pasta meal. I don't understand how to count my carbs.

6pm is a good time to eat 🙂 Until you get experienced with counting carbs (it’s not hard), your control will be variable. To put it very simply, your pre-meal insulin will ‘cover’ a certain amount of carbs. If you eat more than this amount, you’ll go high, less you’ll go low.

When I was diagnosed many years ago, we were always taught basic carb counting at diagnosis. It angers me that that’s not done now. It’s stupid. Next time you speak to your team, do ask about carb counting. In the meantime, when you have your pasta, weigh the amount. Start looking at bread, cereals, etc and read the carb info. Get familiar with the idea. Also, ask your DSN about possibly increasing your evening meal dose.

6pm is a good time to eat 🙂 Until you get experienced with counting carbs (it’s not hard), your control will be variable. To put it very simply, your pre-meal insulin will ‘cover’ a certain amount of carbs. If you eat more than this amount, you’ll go high, less you’ll go low.

When I was diagnosed many years ago, we were always taught basic carb counting at diagnosis. It angers me that that’s not done now. It’s stupid. Next time you speak to your team, do ask about carb counting. In the meantime, when you have your pasta, weigh the amount. Start looking at bread, cereals, etc and read the carb info. Get familiar with the idea. Also, ask your DSN about possibly increasing your evening meal dose.
@Inka Thank you for help. I will ask them today.

Welcome to the forum @Foxley 83

I think sometimes healthcare professionals have to tread a fine line with not overwhelming people with information. However there can be situations where not having been told information, or introduced to a technique can be more overwhelming and confusing!

Hopefully you were able to catch up with your DSN yesterday and get an introduction to the idea of carb counting. If you weren’t able to and would like a little taster, you might find this helpful:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back