High sugar, gp frustrations. Now stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namaste

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello
I have a chest infection so am on antibiotics and steroids. Hba1c 2 weeks ago was 88. I spoke to the wonderful diabetes UK care line this morning and was encouraged to do a finger prick test which was 22. 1. So I contacted the gp to ask for help. Nothing doing as I have an appointment next Friday so I can discuss it then apparently. Phoned 111 who assessed, confirmed I need to speak to a gp and referred me back to the local surgery. Phoned, told no appointments, drink water and don't eat anything sugary as it is probably a side effect of the steroids!

Stuck.

So, is it me or is this rather farcical, particularly as I have blurred vision too. Any idea on self care or next steps? I can't go for a walk as I can't breathe properly with the chest infection and asthma.

Oh and sugars now 24.2.

Help!

Hello
I have a chest infection so am on antibiotics and steroids. Hba1c 2 weeks ago was 88. I spoke to the wonderful diabetes UK care line this morning and was encouraged to do a finger prick test which was 22. 1. So I contacted the gp to ask for help. Nothing doing as I have an appointment next Friday so I can discuss it then apparently. Phoned 111 who assessed, confirmed I need to speak to a gp and referred me back to the local surgery. Phoned, told no appointments, drink water and don't eat anything sugary as it is probably a side effect of the steroids!

Stuck.

So, is it me or is this rather farcical, particularly as I have blurred vision too. Any idea on self care or next steps? I can't go for a walk as I can't breathe properly with the chest infection and asthma.

Oh and sugars now 24.2.

Help!
Who told you to drink lots etc.? Was that an doctor/ANP/nurse, or a receptionist?

If you feel unwell, personally, I'd call 911 again, or present to A&E. Short term high blood glucose is unlikely to do real and lasting harm, but, aside from all else, it'd be useful to check for ketones, just in case.

If you have blurred vision, it is important you don't drive, as your insurance would unlikely to cover you, if anything happened.

Thank you.

Can I eat anything? Thinking possibly protein and veg (not carbs).

It was the gp receptionist who gave that advice above.

Thank you.

You should try to eat something but keep to low carb foods, eggs, cheese, salad, veg, meat, veg, yoghurt, sugarfree jelly and cream.
Have you any ketone urine dip sticks so you can check for ketones as high blood glucose and ketone will need prompt medical attention.
Definitely if you feel unwell other than your chest infection call 111 for further advise or go to A & E. Steroids are well recognised as causing high blood glucose as well as suffering from infection.

Thank you, again.
I've just tested for ketones and it's come back low, so I'll monitor this overnight.
Can't work out what is diabetes feeling rough or chest infection/asthma feeling rough.

Just don't feel I've had the support I've needed or asked for today from the GP. Diabetes UK Careline has been fabulous (as has this forum).

GP receptionist gave advice!!! Unbelievable! What is our NHS coming to. Definitely the steroids and antibiotics. I had the same thing last Christmas and I'm hoping my Hba1c is back to normal next week when I have my blood test. Hope you feel much better very soon.

Thank you.

It was a receptionist who told me to take my seriously ill toddler home despite him being delirious, as it would turn out to be nothing and I shouldn't worry.
When I insisted on seeing a doctor and being told that it was very serious and should be treated with care, I repeated what I'd been told and raised one eyebrow.
I think there is something in my notes about that. I certainly never saw that receptionist on the desk again.
I don't think any sort of exertion is advisable, just rest, stay near a phone and dial 999 if you start to feel really unwell. If you can get something like cooked meat, scrambled eggs and cheese, that might be nourishing and not take much energy to get and eat.

Nowt wrong in drinking water when your BG is too high! extra liquid consumption helps you pee out some of the extra glucose. Only suitable as a short term measure though.

Am drinking water with fresh lime like a fish!!
Feel bit better today, sugar still 16 though. I think my frustration yesterday was more that I was worried and couldn't get help. Drinking water and not eating anything sugary I had worked out for myself and was actively doing that, so I would have appreciated a short chat with a medic to reassure me and see if any add measures needed to be put in place.
Am going to write politely to my gp and explain/express my concern with the triage system that blocked me from getting help.

The last time I needed to be seen urgently due to asthma, I ended up at A and E for 6 hours whereas all I needed was some steroids. I hate taking up valuable time for something which a 5 minute conversation could have sorted. It was the same thing yesterday, although I thankfully didn't end up at the hospital.

I'm keen to try and sort myself out, but really don't feel I'm getting a lot of support from the surgery. It's been 3 weeks wait (and another to go) to get a review following my hba1c of 88. Delays in getting care could well be causing problems and have now delayed planned surgery. I'm being proactive in joining an online support group and trying to help myself but I strongly suspect that my meds need tweaking too.

the antibiotics and steriods will push up your BG levels. 22. something is high but okay try to cut down on carbs where possible as that pushes up the levels. if your BG hits 30. something then it is classed as an emergency. i have had very high levels and still sat here very much alive. the carbs are the culprits in the diet but do have fluids and other foods. hope you get an appt with docs

Thank you. I will have a proper read when I get my desktop computer on. I'm reconsidering my dietary choices. I'm losing weight steadily but obviously not controlling my sugars adequately. Am going to go back to basics, try and forget what I have done in the past and start again.

The last time I needed to be seen urgently due to asthma, I ended up at A and E for 6 hours whereas all I needed was some steroids. I hate taking up valuable time for something which a 5 minute conversation could have sorted

Glad you are feeling better @Namaste

Sorry you had to run the GP Surgery Gauntlet :( Sometimes it feels like the NHS is a bit like a town planning dept that closed all the side roads to prevent rat runs, and then started extensive maintenance/repair work on the only remaining route.

Literally everyone is directed into the same queue, to wait their turn, even if their journey could have been hugely shortened (and they’d have got out of everyone’s way) if this or that side road was still available.

Tricky to know what to suggest while you are still on the steroids and ABs. Is this something that’s likely to recur with your asthma? Might be worth pressing your GP for some sort of Sick Day Rules / approach if your BGs are going to potentially reach these unpleasant heights again.

Perhaps even short term insulin while on the steroids etc?

Hello,

Update:
Saw - finally - the lovely diabetic nurse on Friday. She listened and reassured and has switched my medication from alogliptin to the unspellable dapagliflozin, keeping the metformin the same. I'm second day into it and feeling woozy but okish.
After speaking with her, I've also decided to go down the Libre 2 route (self-funded) and am waiting for my free one to appear. I think it will really help with monitoring what I'm eating and discovering how things affect me. I'm also starting a "brown carbs" campaign at work! We get our meals there and it's all white carbs. If necessary, I'm wondering about taking in packets of the ready to eat brown rice (or rice I've cooked myself) to have at lunchtimes.
I also have clearer guidelines for sick days and how to manage. The main thing seems to be "don't panic" and test for ketones.
So, all in all, a bit happier with life. I'm waiting to hear the outcome of my complaint to the Surgery about triage. The clinicians are wonderful; triage is not!!

Many thanks for your support.

Jane

Hello,

Update:
Saw - finally - the lovely diabetic nurse on Friday. She listened and reassured and has switched my medication from alogliptin to the unspellable dapagliflozin, keeping the metformin the same. I'm second day into it and feeling woozy but okish.
After speaking with her, I've also decided to go down the Libre 2 route (self-funded) and am waiting for my free one to appear. I think it will really help with monitoring what I'm eating and discovering how things affect me. I'm also starting a "brown carbs" campaign at work! We get our meals there and it's all white carbs. If necessary, I'm wondering about taking in packets of the ready to eat brown rice (or rice I've cooked myself) to have at lunchtimes.
I also have clearer guidelines for sick days and how to manage. The main thing seems to be "don't panic" and test for ketones.
So, all in all, a bit happier with life. I'm waiting to hear the outcome of my complaint to the Surgery about triage. The clinicians are wonderful; triage is not!!

Many thanks for your support.

Jane
How about avoiding rice altogether and having cauliflower rice.

@Leadinglights Thank you! I'd forgotten about cauliflower rice. I need this to be sustainable, so I'll have to work out how to manage this and how much carbs I actually need. I can keep frozen cauliflower rice in the freezer at work...it's just working out how to cook it on site!

Pleased you have managed to get some support.
You would do well to read the comprehensive list of limitations of Libre composed by @helli if you are going to use a CGM. I will post a link to the thread below...

As regards brown carbs, whilst they are a healthier choice for pretty much everyone in terms of general health, they will not particularly benefit your diabetes management as they contain almost the same amount of carbs as white versions. Reducing the portion or avoiding those high carb foods is the answer for many of us trying to manage our diabetes.

Thank you. The issue at work is that the meals are all carb heavy (eg chilli with rice, pasta bake, ham, egg and chips). I do ask for smaller portions but it is tricky. I'm not the only diabetic on the staff and we're really not catered for. I also have an allergy to peas (weird, I know!) and this is the staple vegetable at work so I can't fill up on that. Incidentally, pea protein is in many low carb alternatives too.

Thank you also for the link to the CGM limitations, which I have read.

I am determined to get there. Just need to think a bit more creatively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back