HIGH READINGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

leggoless

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Morning , i have type 2 dibetes and i was given guidline figures , between 4/7 am and 7/10 pm. i am usually, pretty good ,
with these figures. but just lately (the last 4/5 day's i have gone over. am 7.9 8.7 9.1 pm 10.4 12.9 11.1 .
i am new at this so i need to know is this bad can somebody please advise me.

Thank you.

You need to measure to see what's sending you up and down. 🙂 Maybe potatoes or rice or bread?

You obviously have a blood glucose monitor so you could start a regime of testing before meals and after 2 hours as that will tell you if you are having more carbohydrates than your body can tolerate in that meal.
You would be aiming at no more than a 2-3mmol/l increase after the 2 hours or no more than 8-8.5 mmol/l 2 hours post meal.
You are aiming at a range of 4-7mmol/l fasting or before meals and as mentioned no more than 8-8.5mmol/l after 2 hours.
Morning reading can remain stubbornly high but should trend downward as your meal increases are minimised. It can also depend on when you take your morning reading as some people experience a rise in blood glucose as soon as they get up and potter about so tend to test when still in bed.
Keeping a good record of your readings alongside the meals you are having will help you identify any problem foods so you can reduce or cut those out. You need the pairs of reading for them to be useful.
Whether your evening readings are bad depends on when you took them, if more than 2 hours after your meal then yes, they are much higher than desirable and are most likely related to what you have eaten or drunk for your meal.

Thank you so much for your reply ,it makes me feel better knowing there is someone to talk to.

Thank you so much for your reply ,it makes me feel better knowing there is someone to talk to.

Guidelines for people with T2 are often quoted as 4-7mmol/L before meals and no higher than 8.5mmol/L by 2hrs after meals.

As @Leadinglights says, it can be very illuminating to check your response to different meals with before/after checks and reduce carbohydrate portions where you see rises bigger than 2-3 between the before and after checks.

If you aim for rises of no more than 2-3, you should see your overall levels reduce gradually.

Thank you for your reply, i am getting a bit concerned now, for the last 2/3 weeks my readings have gone,
from around 6.3/6.9 occasionally.7+. in the morning before breakfast. and around 10.0/11.6. at night.after 8.0 pm.
now they are constantly 9.3/9.8 in the morning. 12.+/to 13+.after 8.pm.that seems a big jump.
i have managed to get a appoinment whit my diabetics nurse. but not for another 2 weeks.
could it be my medication. has it perhaps been changed to weaker dose.and no-one has told me.
i have racked my brains to see if i have changed my diet, but i dont think so. what can be the cause.
hope you can set my mind at rest.

frank.

Thank you for your reply, i am getting a bit concerned now, for the last 2/3 weeks my readings have gone,
from around 6.3/6.9 occasionally.7+. in the morning before breakfast. and around 10.0/11.6. at night.after 8.0 pm.
now they are constantly 9.3/9.8 in the morning. 12.+/to 13+.after 8.pm.that seems a big jump.
i have managed to get a appoinment whit my diabetics nurse. but not for another 2 weeks.
could it be my medication. has it perhaps been changed to weaker dose.and no-one has told me.
i have racked my brains to see if i have changed my diet, but i dont think so. what can be the cause.
hope you can set my mind at rest.

frank.
Have you done as suggested and test before and 2 hours after your meal as that would give you more useful information than the random readings you seem to be doing.
That alongside a food diary will also provide some evidence to discuss with your nurse.
If you would like to post some of that information here then people might spot something which could be the issue.
Please remind us on which meds you are taking and when.

the only meds i take are GLICLAZIDE. 40 mg

Then talk to your nurse as it might be that dosage needs increasing a little. You could also look at your diet before you do that as suggested above because slight tweaks might improve your figures.

thank you Inka. my wife and i have been thinking along the same lines. thats the only thing that makes sense.
to answer you Leadinglights. yes i have been testing i hour before breakfast and two hours after tea. .
thank you all.

thank you Inka. my wife and i have been thinking along the same lines. thats the only thing that makes sense.
to answer you Leadinglights. yes i have been testing i hour before breakfast and two hours after tea. .
thank you all.
No what I meant was to test before you eat your meal (whatever meal that is) and 2 hours after that meal so you can see the effect that meal is having on your blood glucose. You need pairs of reading to be telling you anything useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back