High readings,correcting and eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have had high readings all day , which i dont no why i have, not had anything bad to eat and had my daily injects, i want to correct my blood reading how would i get 10 down to 6, in blood levels? How many units of rapid and when i do correct do i need to eat straight after it

Thanks.

Hi Scotty,

Your DSN should have told you this. However, for Alex 1 unit of novorapid brings him down by 5mmols. But you need to work out your own correction factor really. If your correcting - you dont need to eat as the aim is to get your level down to within range. But if your about to eat, then do the correction first to give it a chance to start working and then you can do your bolus for your food as a seperate injection. You could be coming down with something as high numbers are usually a sign of a cold or infection or similar.🙂Bev

Hi Scotty,

Your DSN should have told you this. However, for Alex 1 unit of novorapid brings him down by 5mmols. But you need to work out your own correction factor really. If your correcting - you dont need to eat as the aim is to get your level down to within range. But if your about to eat, then do the correction first to give it a chance to start working and then you can do your bolus for your food as a seperate injection. You could be coming down with something as high numbers are usually a sign of a cold or infection or similar.🙂Bev

Thanks bev, no my dsn as never told me about this,i will keep everything you said in mind 🙂

Hi Scotty

Yup, I'd second that - it's 1u = 3 mmol/l lower for me.

Never heard the cold idea - letus know if you come down with something! Makes sense I suppose, since high levels and stress go together....

Don't do it if you've just eaten something very high in 'fast' sugars because it might then tumble down massively on its own accord, leaving you low....

Hi Scotty for me it is 1unit brings me down about 2. This is what they started us all on at my DAFNE course.

You can use the 100 rule to get an estimate of you correction factor.

100 divided by your total daily dose = how far BG will fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back