High level premeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

chezpez

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
If your high before a meal, say 10 or 11 do you guys inject for the carbs and corrections, but wait 15-30mins before eating the meal.. or would you just inject and eat the meal straight away??

I would just inject for the meal and correction and eat straightaway. 🙂

If my level goes into the teens after eating for a couple of hrs till the insulin brings it back into range - will that be damaging for my body and will it affect Hba1c level??

I think it's only likely to be potentially damaging if it happens frequently, also it will have negligible effect on your HbA1c unless it happens a lot.

If your high before a meal, say 10 or 11 do you guys inject for the carbs and corrections, but wait 15-30mins before eating the meal.. or would you just inject and eat the meal straight away??

Depends on the time of day. At breakfast I'd certainly give the bolus a head start (anything from 20 minutes to over an hour 😱).

Lunchtime I might give it 10-15 minutes or so. Evening meal I may well just bolus and eat.

I've also found, through recent experimentation that sites have quite a significant effect in me (I know this is not the case for everyone). If I want the bolus to get going sooner abdomen is my site of choice.

As Northener says the trick is to make sure any spikes into the teens are fairly few and far between (easier said than done!)

Avoiding spikes is much easier said than done..........for me at least, I had to cut out carbs at lunch, well most of them, to avoid the 16-18 spikes I got, I do still spike, but rising to 12 for half an hour is ok with me..........there is just no way to avoid them, personally, unless a pump comes along...

I alway inject just before the meal, carbs and corrections, if my dose is above 15 I will try and inject 75% of it before meal and the rest an hour later, the success of this varies...........

As discussed, I would definetly experiment with giving your bolus a head start, if infact you are having spiking problems.......

I'm pretty lucky I don't get many spikes, on a odd food item as this effect.

If I find that I'm what I consider to be high, I correct and don't eat until I'm in range..

For the odd food that I do spike, then I do one of two pre-bolus to match the BG, if the BG is low which might cause a danger of hypo, I split the bolus, a bit before eating, and the rest as I start eating..

Used to be a nightmare on MDI, pump with the pump a lot easier but can be slightly more complex, involving either a Dual wave, Square wave + either a standard or Dual wave, and very occasional I might opt for TBR..

I would love a pump trial, I think I could get brilliant readings.........

I wish i had a pump.. ppl on here seem to love it! i asked my dsn and said there was no need as had good control! though i feel i could do better.

As a rule I would just add a correction dose with my meal dose and inject in the stomach prior to eating, if you are eating a meal that has a low-medium gi value the insulin will soon kick-in before the food is digested, but if you are eating a high-gi meal such as mashed potato or white bread for example, you may like to give a 2 unit correction 20-30 minutes before your food and insulin dose, this would then give the correction time to lower your pre-meal high. The odd high reading will have little effect on your hba1c, as this is a measure of your bg over the previous 8-12 weeks, and even non-diabetics have fluctuations in blood glucose and as long as they are not a frequent occurrence, little harm is done overall. Toby.

As a rule I would just add a correction dose with my meal dose and inject in the stomach prior to eating, if you are eating a meal that has a low-medium gi value the insulin will soon kick-in before the food is digested, but if you are eating a high-gi meal such as mashed potato or white bread for example, you may like to give a 2 unit correction 20-30 minutes before your food and insulin dose, this would then give the correction time to lower your pre-meal high. The odd high reading will have little effect on your hba1c, as this is a measure of your bg over the previous 8-12 weeks, and even non-diabetics have fluctuations in blood glucose and as long as they are not a frequent occurrence, little harm is done overall. Toby.

Thanks Toby - good idea to give correction dose 20-30mins before hand then carb ratio dose with meal x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back