High ketones normal blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

curlygirl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Due to feeling thirsty I have tested ketones and 1.6 is the level. My blood levels are normal and are around 6 or 7. Due to a recent awful upsetting event I have not eaten very much for a few days. I am eating but less than I would and mostly protein not carbs. I therefore am not having insulin as I would but the basal is still running on pump etc
I am aware of ketones related to high blood and I have heard of starvation ketones but thought as eating some food it would not cause these.
Having looked at sick day rules I think that eating carbs with correct insulin should help but hoped someone might know what the best thing to do is.

I’d have some carbs and insulin @curlygirl I had similar when I was in labour (ketones and blood sugar of 5.6) and was told they were “starvation ketones”. I had some toast and insulin and all was ok. I also find that I get them if I don’t eat because of illness. Eating some carbs plus insulin makes me feel better and they go. Eat and keep ketone testing just to be sure.

I’m sorry you’ve had an upsetting event xx

Obviously if they persist despite eating and bolusing, seek medical advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back