High I'm new here

Hello and welcome @Jules M to the forum. It must have been a real shock to be told you're pre-diabetic...it was the same for me when I was diagnosed as T1D two and a half years ago.

Last edited:
Just been informed I'm pre diabetic. A bit of a shock
Hi, and welcome to the forum. A diagnosis of being at risk of diabetes is sometimes seen as a wake-up call to look at lifestyle - diet, activity level and weight. An HbA1c between 42 and 47 is the 'at risk' range. Do you know what your result was, as this will show how close you are to a diabetes diagnosis (48)?

Hi @Jules M and welcome to the forum!

Were you feeling unwell at all or were you diagnosed during your usual health check-up? Regardless, it often comes as a shock to people, but don't worry - the users here have a lot of experience and on-hand advice on how to help. Have you been given any advice at all on changes you can make to your routine, in order to decrease your sugar levels? It could be dependant on what you usually do/eat and your general mobility as these things can be different for each person, however there's a lot of general advice that seems to work for a lot of people, so if you'll be curious about anything at all - just ask away :star:

Hi, and welcome to the forum. A diagnosis of being at risk of diabetes is sometimes seen as a wake-up call to look at lifestyle - diet, activity level and weight. An HbA1c between 42 and 47 is the 'at risk' range. Do you know what your result was, as this will show how close you are to a diabetes diagnosis (48)?
My result was 43.

Hello and welcome @Jules M to the forum. It must have been a real shock to be told you're pre-diabetic...it was the same for me when I was diagnosed as T1D two and a half years ago.
I'm determined to turn it around. Must have been a real blow for you

Hi @Jules M and welcome to the forum!

Were you feeling unwell at all or were you diagnosed during your usual health check-up? Regardless, it often comes as a shock to people, but don't worry - the users here have a lot of experience and on-hand advice on how to help. Have you been given any advice at all on changes you can make to your routine, in order to decrease your sugar levels? It could be dependant on what you usually do/eat and your general mobility as these things can be different for each person, however there's a lot of general advice that seems to work for a lot of people, so if you'll be curious about anything at all - just ask away :star:
I just went for my annual health review. I'm seeing the nurse on the 17th so I guess she will be discussing this with me. I was sent info via email.

My result was 43.
Just over the line, so a few tweaks to your diet might be all you need to turn things around. Some of us have done so from an actual diagnosis of diabetes, sometimes from an HbA1c in 3 figures. Losing weight would help too, if you need to.

I'm all ready for tweaking and I'm about a stone overweight but I'm very active I do yoga line dancing twice a week and walk so not bad for 74.

I'm all ready for tweaking and I'm about a stone overweight but I'm very active I do yoga line dancing twice a week and walk so not bad for 74.
If you have a nurse who has read the new NICE guidelines for the point at which more mature people are diagnosed with diabetes then you may find that 43mmol/mol would be considered acceptable and the priority for you would be to lose some weight. That may also have the bonus of reducing your HbA1C to normal of below 42mmol/mol.
There is no way that medication would be appropriate so a few tweaks on portion size and reduction in high carb foods should be sufficient.
If you want to gen up before your appointment then this link may help. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Back