High/hyper?

Chrissie106

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi there,

i often fall asleep after lunch - there’s no staying awake I have no choice. Is this a spike? If so, how can I control it.

thanks

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Might be but there's no way to tell unless you test when you start feeling the way you do and seeing what your levels are at that current time

What are you having for lunch and are you on any medication for your diabetes?
xx

Chrissie106

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, thanks for responding.
variety of things for lunch, boiled egg n toast, cheese on toast, soup, fruit, can be anything.

Sitagliptin 30?300? once a day and metformin 850 twice a day.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Do you test your levels at all? If not I highly suggest you do

Do you know that as a diabetic you don't tolerate carbohydrates too well? So it's best to cut back on the carbs such as breakfast cereals, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta etc

The only way to tell what carbs and how much of them you can tolerate as the individual you are is to test before eating, then again 2 hours after and ideally have a rise of no more than 2-3mmol from your pre meal level
xx

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
If you don't have a BG meter to test yourself then we would highly recommend it. They are relatively inexpensive to buy a basic model (approx. £15) and whilst the on going purchase of test strips does increase the cost (£8 for a pot of 50 if you buy the SD Gluco Navii or the Spirit Healthcare Tee2) it is well worth the expense and lets face it, most of us have probably spent £8 a week buying rubbish to eat pre diagnosis, so well worth the investment.

In the meantime, try having a very low carb lunch and see if that improves the sleepiness.... something like a large salad with boiled eggs or tuna or chicken and help yourself to plenty of mayonnaise or creamy coleslaw.... Avoid salad cream as it contains sugar and avoid reduced fat products as they are usually higher carb than their full fat alternative and the fat will keep you feeling full for longer. Beware of fruit as it can be high carb, so maybe have a chunk of cheese for afters or a pot of creamy Greek Natural yoghurt with some chopped nuts and seeds in it.

Chrissie106

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
If you don't have a BG meter to test yourself then we would highly recommend it. They are relatively inexpensive to buy a basic model (approx. £15) and whilst the on going purchase of test strips does increase the cost (£8 for a pot of 50 if you buy the SD Gluco Navii or the Spirit Healthcare Tee2) it is well worth the expense and lets face it, most of us have probably spent £8 a week buying rubbish to eat pre diagnosis, so well worth the investment.

In the meantime, try having a very low carb lunch and see if that improves the sleepiness.... something like a large salad with boiled eggs or tuna or chicken and help yourself to plenty of mayonnaise or creamy coleslaw.... Avoid salad cream as it contains sugar and avoid reduced fat products as they are usually higher carb than their full fat alternative and the fat will keep you feeling full for longer. Beware of fruit as it can be high carb, so maybe have a chunk of cheese for afters or a pot of creamy Greek Natural yoghurt with some chopped nuts and seeds in it.
Thanks, I’ll see how it goes

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Chrissie106

High BG certainly can make people feel drowsy and lethargic, but it’s quite individual.

Some people get very profound feelings of tiredness as soon as their BG gets into the teens... Others hardly feel it, and others only feel tired if their BG levels remain high for some time.