High Glucose after Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Wilcox

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I’ve been a type 1 for about 15 years and struggled to get my HbA1c down to a respectable level. A couple of years ago I started using a CGM and that has certainly helped. However, despite having continuous visibility of my glucose I still get very high glucose readings in the 2 hours after eating. I take my insulting just before eating and my glucose will rise from, say, 6 to 12 within 30 minutes and stay there for an hour or two before falling back. That suggests I’m taking the right amount of insulin for my meals but it doesn’t explain the peaks. Any suggestions gratefully received. Pete

Hi @Peter Wilcox 🙂 Try moving your bolus earlier gradually until you hit the ‘sweet spot’. Taking your bolus at the right time is crucial to control the spike. As an example, if I take my Humalog right before breakfast, I’ll peak to approx 13. However, taking my insulin 30 mins in advance of eating means my ‘peak’ is in the 6s usually.

Pre bolus would help you limit these spikes, what that means is that you take your insulin about 15 mins before you eat, it is different for everyone, but myself I used to have to do my insulin 15 mins before I had my food.

Many thanks for your speedy responses. I’ll certainly give it a try and hope to find the ‘sweet spot’ before too long. Cheers, Pete

A quick update to say I’m now taking the bolus about 30 minutes before eating and my ‘curve’ is much reduced. Many thanks for your help. Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back