High Bloods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafferty58

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My bloods are in double figures every morning and seem to go up after I have my coffee(NO FOOD) am I doin something wrong

Are you on insulin @Rafferty58 ? You mentioned you might be put on Humulin i. What are your blood sugars like through the day and before you go to bed?

Are you on insulin @Rafferty58 ? You mentioned you might be put on Humulin i. What are your blood sugars like through the day and before you go to bed?
I am on humulin 1 at the moment, I take 16 units in the morning, I also inject 1.8 units of victoza at night, my bloods are running very high throughout the day and are usually around 12 in the morning and roughly the same or slightly up as the day goes on was thinking of trying the humulin at night before bed

I know absolutely nothing about Victoza @Rafferty58 so I’m loathe to give any advice about that. I do know that it can lower blood sugar though so I’d be wary about moving your Humulin i injection to the evening too. I wouldn’t do that without getting medical advice.

I think you should speak to your diabetes nurse. You’re not doing anything wrong, but it seems like your medication doses might need adjusting. Humulin i is normally taken twice a day, but you have the Victoza in the evening instead. You could ask why, and ask if it would be easier to not take the Victoza and have twice daily Humulin i.

I’d also write down what you’re eating each day as that might help the nurse pick the best medication regime for you. It might be you’re either eating too many carbs or need a bolus/fast/mealtime insulin to help deal with your meals in addition to the Humulin i. There are a number of options, so I’m sure your blood sugar can be improved.

I know absolutely nothing about Victoza @Rafferty58 so I’m loathe to give any advice about that. I do know that it can lower blood sugar though so I’d be wary about moving your Humulin i injection to the evening too. I wouldn’t do that without getting medical advice.

I think you should speak to your diabetes nurse. You’re not doing anything wrong, but it seems like your medication doses might need adjusting. Humulin i is normally taken twice a day, but you have the Victoza in the evening instead. You could ask why, and ask if it would be easier to not take the Victoza and have twice daily Humulin i.

I’d also write down what you’re eating each day as that might help the nurse pick the best medication regime for you. It might be you’re either eating too many carbs or need a bolus/fast/mealtime insulin to help deal with your meals in addition to the Humulin i. There are a number of options, so I’m sure your blood sugar can be improved.
Thankyou so much for your information, am gonna call the clinic tomorrow and get someone to call me back. (its impossible to book an appt) dont feel so bad now not knowing what to door when to do it.

Humulin I apparently starts to work within 2 to 4 hours after injection, peaks in 4 to 12 hours, and keeps working for 12 to 18 hours. So those are all rather wide bounds, but it certainly doesn't last a full day and has a definite peak, so moving and/or splitting your dose will certainly change things.

It would be interesting to hear what the clinic have to say - I always wonder whether there are any non-DIY modelling tools available to help people decide how to split their long acting insulin.

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time with your morning BGs @Rafferty58 :(

Morning levels can be tricky, partly because the liver can get a bit feisty in the hours before (or immediately after) waking, and release glucose to ‘fire up the burners’ for the day.

This is often called Dawn Phenomenon if it happens while sleeping, or Foot on the Floor if it happens when you get out of bed. Some people get very little effect from this, but others find their levels get a real kick and that eating something fairly low carb soon after waking can help ‘switch off’ their liver dump.

Hope your phone call gives you some helpful pointers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back