High blood sugars

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiabeticJames

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

For past couple days been struggling, had stomach upset and looking at my levels over past couple of days they have gone through roof 14.9 highest reading.

Spoke to health care assistant as worried as been feeling very heady and nauseous and she said I possibley have covid and to do a test, which I did and was negitive.

I've never had any symptoms and being honest am pretty scared as I can't seem to be able to pull my levels down at all, stressing is possibley making things far worse.

I've fallen off wagon of sorts and know I've been eating things I shouldn't have over past weekend but have never experianced this.

Upset stomachs can really mess with levels. Have you been told how to correct high sugars and at what number to correct? Importantly, have you tested for ketones?

Upset stomachs can really mess with levels. Have you been told how to correct high sugars and at what number to correct? Importantly, have you tested for ketones?
No real advice given apart from to do a lateral flow test, tried to avoid most if not all heavy carbs and of course sugar but other then that not overly sure how to bring down.

No test for ketones is this something gp can do?

No, you should have a ketone meter (like a glucose meter but for ketones) or Ketostix which are urine test strips to look for ketones. You might be able to buy the Ketostix over the counter.

No, you should have a ketone meter (like a glucose meter but for ketones) or Ketostix which are urine test strips to look for ketones. You might be able to buy the Ketostix over the counter.
Thank you for advice, I will amazon it and see what comes up, thank you for taking time, When I was diagnosed was given a printout and told basically to google it from gp was unaware of some of this, only just seen what ketones are of this conversation today so thank you, it's appricated

ketostix can be bought over the pharmacy counter from most places if you don't spot them on the shelves. (cant guarantee they will have them in stock tho 😉 ) Just ask for them.

ketostix can be bought over the pharmacy counter from most places if you don't spot them on the shelves. (cant guarantee they will have them in stock tho 😉 ) Just ask for them.
Thank you, have some coming from amazon when they turn up, thank you again

Yes, that’s good 🙂 How’s your blood sugar today?
Still little high mostly 9's before meals but seems down compared to yesterday, had peak readings of 17 point something yesterday that paniced me slightly as was two hours after food and felt lil funny if honest, not expecting overnight fix but things defenitly look like going right way.

Will keep testing, not used strips and machine in a good while before this come around, think more testing wise in future.

Thank you for checking in

9s are much better 🙂 Hopefully they’ll gradually go down. Illness is a real pain with diabetes. You did well. It’s stressful, even years after diagnosis.

9s are much better 🙂 Hopefully they’ll gradually go down. Illness is a real pain with diabetes. You did well. It’s stressful, even years after diagnosis.
Hoping so, stressing maybe made things worse, I'm an over thinker at best of times so thank you for taking time has been super helpful, hard finding someone who can relate as I don't know anyone else who has diabetes, thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back