high blood sugar

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicaindia12

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi - i recently got out of hospital following an operation I had an emergency removal of my fallopian tube due to an ectopic.
since the operation my blood sugars been extremely high and i’m very insulin resistant.
I’m wandering if this is a normal thing that can happen to diabetics following anaesthesia.

thanks
Jessica

So sorry to hear about your ectopic loss @jessicaindia12 xx

Possibly there’s still some hormonal involvement that could be contributing, as well as the obvious stress, of course. I’ve had a general anaesthetic and I didn’t notice any particular rise that could be attributed to it. My blood sugar was a bit weird but I think that was stress along with the different routine in hospital.

How high are your sugars and do you have ketones? Are you correcting? If they’re really high, I’d be tempted to speak to someone to get some medical input and reassurance. Don’t be afraid to phone if you’re feeling unwell or you can’t get your blood sugar down.

Thanks for the reply - i don’t have any one to talk to other than my GP- i changed hospitals due to a move and they seem to be rubbish .

i am constantly injecting insulin but it doesn’t budge much, waking up at 16 . im confused only diagnosed three years ago so still fairly new

When you’re high - say over 13 or so - you’ll usually need more insulin to correct a high sugar. Obviously be cautious, but being above 13-15 will cause some insulin resistance. Also, give the correction time to work. You’d be looking at possibly 3hrs plus to start to see it begin to drop.

As a precaution, have you changed your insulin pens/cartridges just in case the insulin has degraded?

So sorry for your loss and operation.
If these high levels have been going on for more than a day or two and across the day, not just in the morning, then you might be better to increase your basal insulin. It is usual to try a 10% increase and see how that goes for a few days and then increase again if necessary, similar to sick day rules and drink plenty of fluids and keep a close eye on your levels.... and of course test for ketones.

Which insulins are you using?

Nob all to do with an anaesthetic - what is DOES have 100% to do with is bodily trauma - which your body has just had in tons. All your 'fight or flight' mechanisms were activated firstly by the alien placement of your fertilised egg and then more so when incisions were made and part of your innards excised. I fairly recently had a knee op and my BG hated it - thereafter I needed 3x the amount of insulin than pre-op and it only gradually came back down to pre-op levels in approx 3-6 months thereafter. I had ketones too, very high at first and took a few weeks to disappear. Don't bother fighting against needing more insulin - you need however much you need. Your body needs you to treat it kindly right now - so please do so.

Has your new hospital got a diabetes clinic? - because even if you have not physically been referred there you can still ring them and ask for help - so you need to do that and they SHOULD help you.

Not being nosey but if this was a planned conception, you will need to get pre conception advice anyway before embarking on this again, so as to try to get yourself in best shape to give your next try a damn good start. ie planning for success!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back