High blood sugar reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulfate

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi I took my blood sugar 2 hours before dinner and it was 5.7 I ate a meal of 39carbs which is not high for me and my 2 hour after meal reading was 9.1 this is very high for me and I dont understand why?I'm starting a cold?

If you have had that meal before and it has been OK for you then it could be the effect of starting a cold. However, it could be the particular combination of carbs and other foods that has pushed the level up so much. What exactly did you have, maybe miscalculated on this occasion.
I must admit 39g carbs in one meal would be too much for me

I had a small cajun chicken breast, small portion of steamed carrots and broccoli. An 83g jacket potato with cheese and an Arla high protein raspberry yoghurt (13g carbs)

I had a small cajun chicken breast, small portion of steamed carrots and broccoli. An 83g jacket potato with cheese and an Arla high protein raspberry yoghurt (13g carbs)
Doesn't sound as if it would be a problem. Could you have had something on your fingers?

If you have had that meal before and it has been OK for you then it could be the effect of starting a cold. However, it could be the particular combination of carbs and other foods that has pushed the level up so much. What exactly did you have, maybe miscalculated on this occasion.
I must admit 39g carbs in one meal would be too much for me
Last Tuesday I had similar with a 116g jet potato, cajun chicken , salad and anti pasti and plain Greek yoghurt with fresh raspberries and reading was only 7.7 after food

Doesn't sound as if it would be a problem. Could you have had something on your fingers?
I always wash my hands before finger prick. A high reading of 12.2 yesterday the highest I've ever had?? Very confused by it

I always wash my hands before finger prick. A high reading of 12.2 yesterday the highest I've ever had?? Very confused by it
Have you just had your Covid vaccine as people have found that can increase your blood glucose for a while afterwards.

No I haven't had any jabs recently. I can't think of anything that may be causing it since yesterday.

It is only relatively recently that I began to appreciate that a high-protein meal, even if low in carbs, can cause high blood sugar 3-4 hours after eating. I only mention it because of your reference to a high-protein yoghurt. If this was something new you tried with this meal, it could be a reason for your high subsequent reading. Just a thought...

Morning @Sulphate. I think it is unwise to treat single test results as anything other than a "bit interesting" when you get an unexpected reading. It could be due to lots of things including statistical error. I would do some more tests at the same times over the next few days before and after dinner and see what you get. If things go back to normal then treat it as just one of those things. If you find that there is a consistent change in what you might have expected then think again.

If I get a reading which seems "odd" or unexpected, I wash my hands again and do another test.
Just like us, our meters sometimes have a weird 5 minutes.

Thanks everyone for your helpful replys

Hi I took my blood sugar 2 hours before dinner and it was 5.7 I ate a meal of 39carbs which is not high for me and my 2 hour after meal reading was 9.1 this is very high for me and I dont understand why?I'm starting a cold?
Was there a reason why you took your reading 2 hours before dinner rather than just before you ate which is the usual advice, so that the meal rise is as closely isolated as possible. What did you do in that 2 hour period? Could your levels have risen due to something other than the food you ate.... stress or some intensive exercise etc.

You mention a possible cold infection.... That could certainly inflate your levels and quite a few of us Type 1s who test very regularly see our levels increase before we actually get symptoms as our body identifies the pathogen and starts to fight it..... Or as others have said, it could just be a rogue test strip and always best to rewash hands and double check a reading which seems odd.

Was there a reason why you took your reading 2 hours before dinner rather than just before you ate which is the usual advice, so that the meal rise is as closely isolated as possible. What did you do in that 2 hour period? Could your levels have risen due to something other than the food you ate.... stress or some intensive exercise etc.

You mention a possible cold infection.... That could certainly inflate your levels and quite a few of us Type 1s who test very regularly see our levels increase before we actually get symptoms as our body identifies the pathogen and starts to fight it..... Or as others have said, it could just be a rogue test strip and always best to rewash hands and double check a reading which seems odd.
Oops I meant 2 hours after!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back