High blood sugar, night time problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmaLou

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
For the last few weeks bs control hasn't been the best. One thing ive noticed is that when im high at night i get up several times a night needing a wee. Even if ive not had a lot to drink before bed it still happens. Is this night time problem related to having a raised bs at bed time???:confused:

For the last few weeks bs control hasn't been the best. One thing ive noticed is that when im high at night i get up several times a night needing a wee. Even if ive not had a lot to drink before bed it still happens. Is this night time problem related to having a raised bs at bed time???:confused:

I would say definitely yes - your body is trying to flush the excess sugar out. It can leave you dehydrated, so make sure you drink plenty of water. Any clues as to why your levels are high at night?

Just high in general at the moment. Not that high just around about 8-14 all day long. Never been a problem before until now. Adjusting lots and trying to work things out, DSN decided this week she would take annual leave. Im not best pleased!!! So basically while my bs is high at night im going to pee lots at night despite the amount im drinking???

I'm afraid so EmmaLou. My levels only need to be slightly above normal and my bladder lets me know!. If you're constantly above 8 during the day it sounds like your basal requirements have changed and are currently too low - have you tried doing some basal testing? On the other hand, perhaps you have an infection that's making you higher/pee a lot?

Have increased basal but no changes really. No infection! Don't really understand basal testing, never been told about it....?

Have increased basal but no changes really. No infection! Don't really understand basal testing, never been told about it....?

It's quite straightforward really. You need to set aside a day where you don't eat any carbs, so don't need any insulin with your meals - have things like bacon and egg or omelettes or erm...not sure - anything that's not got carbs in it (lean meat or fish). You then test at hourly or two hourly intervals and see what happens to your levels. If they increase despite eating no carbs then it means your basal dose is too low to cope with the steady trickle of glucose your liver is always putting out (this is why we need a background/basal insulin).

You don't have to do it for the whole day, although that will give you a much fuller picture. You can just have a no carb meal instead of having carbs and insulin and measure until the next meal. If you do this, make sure it is at least 5 hours since your previous meal/insulin so that all the meal insulin has gone and you only have basal left.

See the thread by aymes about her basal test to see an example of what you would hope to find!

http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=6402

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back