High blood sugar levels after remission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megg212

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any advice that could help my partner at the moment.
In 2017 he became unwell and was diagnosed with type one diabetes (he had previously lost a lot of weight and was quite young) and was put on insulin but because of his not wanting to inject extra really he followed a really restrictive diet and over a few months one thing led to another and I’m not entirely clear but I think basically he was told that because of how large he had been previously (before type 1 diagnosis) and his current levels that it was actually type two and he was moved onto metaformin but the levels got lower and lower and he was taken off
Completely.
Fast forward to now and a significant weight gain later last night I realised just how much he’d been drinking again (squash, water etc) and made him randomly test on his freestyle monitor and it came up with hi, tried it again half an hour later and it said the same so switched needles and I tried myself and it was fine. (Wasn’t sure if it was broke or what not)
We just tried again now what would be 4 hours after food and it was 19.7.
His GP practice is closed and he’s not seen the diabetic nurse in over a year. All he has is 1000 metaformin but he’s very much burying his head in the sand and is just adamant he’ll start taking them again twice a day and all will be fine.
Given the medical environment now because of corona does anyone have any advice as where to start to get him some help?
Thank you

You can still contact your GP, it may have to be by email or a very long wait on the phone. But if his numbers keep rising like that I would call 111 and ask their advice,ASAP, as very high numbers can be very dangerous. If the metre recorded HI that’s off the scale, I’m not 100% certain but maybe up to 30. Someone will hopefully know. Burying his head in the sand is definitely not the way forward when it comes to diabetes. Please get him to call or you call on his behalf sooner rather than later. Let us know how he gets on.

Eggyg is right, he needs to get something done to get his numbers down because he is running a real risk of becoming an ambulance case. If your GP is not contactable then phone 111 and don't be surprised if they suggest him going to straight to A&E.

Don't panic about the idea of going to A&E. As far as you can make out A&E departments are well organised to deal with non-covid emergencies and because there are fewer drunks and time-wasters about, they are fairly quiet and can give a first class service.

Thank you all for the replies, I’m going to make sure he calls through to his gp and if no luck there 111.
I feel so bad because for a while I’ve been moaning about going through so much squash or whatever else I’ve bought and I never thought about it until now god knows how long he’s been like this for. Thank you all again x

By the way Megg... squash is not a good idea for trying to quench a thirst due to high blood glucose - can contain a lot of sugar. Stick to water.

Thank you Docb, I don’t even know if he could tell something has been wrong and realised he was out of remission or if he genuinely didn’t know but previously he did make sure he was just drinking a lot of water.

HI on any brand of meter always means 30+. Think mines over 33, others I've heard of it's over 35.

Sorry to hear about your husband @Megg212

Hope you can get seen promptly and your partner can get some good information pronto.

It makes me wonder if he might have been LADA, where the slow destruction of beta cells might have reached a ‘tipping point’ under his normal diet so that he needed insulin, but then with the radical diet changes perhaps his residual beta cells were enough to cope without injected insulin for a while, until more autoimmune attack has reduced betacell mass so that now he is needing injected insulin again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back