High blood single blood glucose and hba1c on the horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I don't feel qualified to give an answer, met with a friend who is newly diagnoised t2 about 5 months ago. He has been robust about testing and keeping the numbers in the low to mid 7s. He had a blip last week when after a buffet meal it went up to 9.3 (wonder what he ate!). Apparently it dropped quite quickly a little later. He has his blood rest in (i think) 3-4 weeks time and is now so worried this will increase his current hba1c. He is currently managing everything by diet only and isn't keen on taking meds.

I am much further along this road and suspect as the Hba1c is an average over a 2-3 months the blip won't be a problem but b4 I open my big mouth i want to be sure. He is desperately worried.

One slightly higher reading won’t alter the HbA1c value, it’s an average over approx 12 weeks weighted more to the more recent weeks. My cgm gives me a predicted HbA1c and a one off slightly elevated reading wouldn’t change the HbA1c value at all, it takes a more sustained time of increased or reduced readings to make a difference.

I hope your friend can be reassured.

One slightly higher reading won’t alter the HbA1c value, it’s an average over approx 12 weeks weighted more to the more recent weeks. My cgm gives me a predicted HbA1c and a one off slightly elevated reading wouldn’t change the HbA1c value at all, it takes a more sustained time of increased or reduced readings to make a difference.

I hope your friend can be reassured.
Tbh he is worrying himself silly and now considers cancelling his hba1c for another 2 months... i suggested he joined this forum for support, but not interested.

Tbh he is worrying himself silly and now considers cancelling his hba1c for another 2 months... i suggested he joined this forum for support, but not interested.
That's ridiculous unless he is not admitting to having slipped up more than just the once. What's to say something might not happen to cause a high one off on another occasion, being unwell for example.
Better to know where you are at.

I wouldn't think 9.3 would be considered especially high anyway. When I was diagnosed my DN told me that my BG, at the very least, needed to be kept in single figures and she was happy that I'd got down to a fasting 9.2 on the morning of my follow-up appointment.

I wouldn't think 9.3 would be considered especially high anyway. When I was diagnosed my DN told me that my BG, at the very least, needed to be kept in single figures and she was happy that I'd got down to a fasting 9.2 on the morning of my follow-up appointment.
Thank you. I suspect after his Hba1c he will be ok, it's early days for him . He is determined to stay away from meds.

Thank you. I suspect after his Hba1c he will be ok, it's early days for him . He is determined to stay away from meds.
Admirable but that isn’t achieved by burying your head in the sand (delaying the test). It’s by having knowledge and knowing where you are at. I also agree with the others. A one off 9 is nothing at all to worry about for hba1c. Also the stress will quite possibly raise his levels over a longer period and be counterproductive. Better to know and stop worrying, be relieved or take renewed steps ( but again I very much doubt that a one off meal will necessitate that)

Maybe show him these replies even if he won’t join- yet. Joining a forum was a major factor in my success on diagnosis. I learned so much and got such support it was invaluable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back