High blood pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachelegypt

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Pronouns
She/Her
I decided that after feeling dizzy and nauseous I would check out my blood pressure, at my local chemist. It’s a little high. Seeing gp next Friday for another test. I have been on a low carb diet for almost 4 weeks. I do feel healthier, and I’m making better choices. However the diabetes nurse said maybe up my carbs a little. Could be too drastic. I’m scared that my bloating will come back my menopausal body is disgusting. I’m not that tall, and size 16 . I’m ashamed of how I look. I’m 53. I can’t go back there.

I decided that after feeling dizzy and nauseous I would check out my blood pressure, at my local chemist. It’s a little high. Seeing gp next Friday for another test. I have been on a low carb diet for almost 4 weeks. I do feel healthier, and I’m making better choices. However the diabetes nurse said maybe up my carbs a little. Could be too drastic. I’m scared that my bloating will come back my menopausal body is disgusting. I’m not that tall, and size 16 . I’m ashamed of how I look. I’m 53. I can’t go back there.
It might have been a false hypo - your brain throwing a tantrum as it has been bathing in a warm sugar solution for a while and now you're reducing to normal it is objecting.
If the symptoms go away after a warm drink and a tiny amount of carbs - I found that 3 or 4 grapes did the trick, it really does seem more like a false hypo.

Your nurse not knowing what can happen when someone is pushing their blood glucose number back into the normal range is rather concerning, as is the advice to eat more carbs. We don't need carbs, they are not essential, unlike protein and fat, though for variety, colour, texture and flavour they are useful.
I lost a lot of weight and sizes eating low carb, and am still finding that I need to alter the waistline of trousers and skirts as where my waistline is keeps altering even after some years of fairly stable weight.

I decided that after feeling dizzy and nauseous I would check out my blood pressure, at my local chemist. It’s a little high. Seeing gp next Friday for another test.
Hopefully your BP won’t high enough to be a concern for your GP, though great that you are able to get it checked out 🙂
I have been on a low carb diet for almost 4 weeks. I do feel healthier, and I’m making better choices. However the diabetes nurse said maybe up my carbs a little. Could be too drastic.

Good that you are feeling better on low carb!

I wonder if @Drummer might be right about the false hypo being behind your feeling dizzy and spaced out - it’s something lots of new members experience when their BG levels have been high for a while, and then shift down towards a healthier range. If that is what you are experiencing, it can take a few weeks for the body’s “glucose thermostat” to reset.

I’m scared that my bloating will come back my menopausal body is disgusting. I’m not that tall, and size 16 . I’m ashamed of how I look. I’m 53. I can’t go back there.

Sorry to hear you feeling so down on yourself. :(

If you feel your current approach is working, maybe stick with it for a while longer. You are working hard to improve things, give yourself the credit you deserve. Diabetes is a marathon not a sprint. Keep working away at it, and maybe consider your nurse’s suggestion if your wobbly symptoms recur?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back