High blood pressure medication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelsey31

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi just wondering if anyone is taking Ramipril for high blood pressure which I have recently been diagnosed with. Would be interested how this affects peoples blood glucose levels and any other advice welcome Thanks.

Hi @Kelsey31 I was on Ramipril for quite a long time, I cannot recall it having any effect either way on BGs. However it did give me the "ACE cough", a nasty irritating dry cough, so I was put onto Losartan in it's place.

Perindopril erbumine for me. Does the job lowers my bloodpressure. Had no noticeable side effects. Been on it for a good 15 years +

I was on perindopril, similar drug. Did the job of whacking down BP, no effect on BG, but I also got the cough so switched to something else. Then I lost weight & my BP got itself under control, so I didn't need BP meds any longer.

Hi
I've been on BP medication for almost 40 years (familial hypertension). No effect on my glucose levels. However, one of the side effects of BP medications ending in "pril" is the cough. Mine got so bad on Lisinopril the people at work complained and I got switched to other medications.

I'm on ramipril and as far as I know, it doesn't do anything for my BG levels (but I'm T2, so I don't know if that's applicable to T1s). I had dizziness at first when I went onto it, as the doctor had put me straight onto a 10mg dose, and they're meant to phase it in with a lower dose and then increase the dose. I thought I was going to pass out in the street at one point, so make sure that they give you lower doses first!

Hi. Make sure you really need the BP meds. My arrogant GP put me on them as my reading was high at one review. I started checking at home with multiple checks and doing it properly (Google it) and found my readings were OK without the pills so i asked the surgery to take them off my script which they reluctantly did. I now give my DN my average readings over several days. Check your readings against your age as 'normal' BP increases with age.

Hi. Make sure you really need the BP meds. My arrogant GP put me on them as my reading was high at one review. I started checking at home with multiple checks and doing it properly (Google it) and found my readings were OK without the pills so i asked the surgery to take them off my script which they reluctantly did. I now give my DN my average readings over several days. Check your readings against your age as 'normal' BP increases with age.
There is a well known phenomenon known as "white coat syndrome" where the BP shoots up in hospital or a GP surgery. I once measured a nice 127/83 at home, and 10 minutes later at the GP it was 210/110! Mind you, if they'd tightened the armband any more before starting, my arm would have fallen off. Taking the reading was very painful. Now I have the home testing armband and take my readings 4 times a day over a 3 week period, twice a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back