High blood glucose readings

Status
Not open for further replies.

CELTICDUFF

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Merry Christmas and a happy new year
I was recently ( 3 weeks ) changed from Humulin 1 ( 52 Units twice a day ) to M3 as well as discontinuing my Gliclazide slowly ( 2 tablets twice per day . I am reducing one dose per week) as well as starting at 42 units , I have increased this to 46 units twice per day. While I understand the reduction in the GLiclazide , eating more than usual and the fact I have a chest infection for more than 2 weeks, will play a major part. Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience when changing ?
just to add my blood glucose was 26mmols prior to my evening meal

thank you
CELTICDUFF

Last edited:
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too @CELTICDUFF 🙂 Your chest infection could definitely be contributing. I find even a cold can put my levels up. Also, I imagine you’ve been started on less M3 than they think you’ll need. It’s usual to build the doses up gradually.

Are you on antibiotics for the chest infection? They can affect blood sugar too.

Thank you Inka. Yes I am on antibiotics. I’ve never had such a high reading as 26mmols . I suppose that’s my concern

Has the 26 come down a bit? I think you might need to phone 111 if your blood sugar stays persistently high. Ideally, you’d have some fast-acting insulin to correct that blood sugar, but it sounds like you haven’t and especially as you have an infection, it would be sensible to get advice if you stay in the 20s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back