High blood glucose reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulfate

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi all, it's been a while since I've logged on to the forum, hopefully someone will be able to help. Today I ate exactly the same lunch and breakfast. My blood reading before lunch yesterday was 5.0 and 2 hours later 5.7. However today my pre dinner reading was 7.0 which I'm shocked at as I was expecting it to be lower more 5.0! Can anyone give me a clue why that would be. As I'm prediabetic is it ok to have pasta once a week as it's a meal I really enjoy with my husband. I usually use wholewheat pasta apart from tagliatelle as I haven't seen any wholewheat. I have finished the Diabetic prevention program when would be a good time to have a new HbA1c test ?Thanks.

Hi all, it's been a while since I've logged on to the forum, hopefully someone will be able to help. Today I ate exactly the same lunch and breakfast. My blood reading before lunch yesterday was 5.0 and 2 hours later 5.7. However today my pre dinner reading was 7.0 which I'm shocked at as I was expecting it to be lower more 5.0! Can anyone give me a clue why that would be. As I'm prediabetic is it ok to have pasta once a week as it's a meal I really enjoy with my husband. I usually use wholewheat pasta apart from tagliatelle as I haven't seen any wholewheat. I have finished the Diabetic prevention program when would be a good time to have a new HbA1c test ?Thanks.
It would not be worth while having a HbA1C less than 3 months from your previous test as it is an average over 3 months but I suspect as you are prediabetic your GP might not want to do it more frequently than 6 months.
As far as pasta is concerned, you have a monitor so you can test how much it increases your blood glucose or you could try edamame bean or black bean pasta which is very low carb compared to normal pasta.
As for you predinner reading of 7, how long was it since your lunch reading, it could be that whatever you had for lunch had been slower to be metabolised and your level went higher after 2 hours. or did you have any food or drink, or if you didn't have any food or drink your liver was being helpful in releasing glucose to give you energy to function or you were a bit dehydrated or you did some vigorous exercise.
Just a bit of speculation of course as there are multiple reasons for blood glucose to increase not just food.

It would not be worth while having a HbA1C less than 3 months from your previous test as it is an average over 3 months but I suspect as you are prediabetic your GP might not want to do it more frequently than 6 months.
As far as pasta is concerned, you have a monitor so you can test how much it increases your blood glucose or you could try edamame bean or black bean pasta which is very low carb compared to normal pasta.
As for you predinner reading of 7, how long was it since your lunch reading, it could be that whatever you had for lunch had been slower to be metabolised and your level went higher after 2 hours. or did you have any food or drink, or if you didn't have any food or drink your liver was being helpful in releasing glucose to give you energy to function or you were a bit dehydrated or you did some vigorous exercise.
Just a bit of speculation of course as there are multiple reasons for blood glucose to increase not just food.
Thanks very much

Hi I have just taken my post dinner reading it was 7.4 after a pasta dish. So pre dinner 7.0, 2 hours later 7.4. I would take that as a good reading? Although as I put in my earlier post I was surprised my blood glucose was 7 high for me.

Is that a good result?

I would say excellent, only 0.4mmol/l on the monitor so essentially identical. Anything after the decimal point can really be ignored.
many thanks.

Have you tried konjak pasta? I eat it with maybe, 4 or 5 real penne on the top as a garnish. Much lower carb. xx

Have you tried konjak pasta? I eat it with maybe, 4 or 5 real penne on the top as a garnish. Much lower carb. xx
I ha e tried konjak noodles and didn't like them but I haven't tried the pasta. Thanks for the tip

By the way well done on your weight loss lower HbA1c

Hi, I would be over the moon with that reading after pasta! You sound like your doing great, it’s easy to worry about what you have done when your sugars randomly change from the norm, it could be a number of things, different Levels of activity , hormones and one major one for me is stress.. most of these things are out of your control so just concentrate on the things you can control. Pre diabetes can be a shock, but also a massive life changing possibility. I was never told that I was prediabetic the doctors dismissed it until I had full blown diabetes. Asked them why and they said well you didn’t look diabetic !!!! 😡
Pre diabetes is a very unlucky lucky diagnosis that’s how I would see it, I’m so glad you took it seriously as some wouldn’t. You will be just fine I’m sure xx

Hi, I would be over the moon with that reading after pasta! You sound like your doing great, it’s easy to worry about what you have done when your sugars randomly change from the norm, it could be a number of things, different Levels of activity , hormones and one major one for me is stress.. most of these things are out of your control so just concentrate on the things you can control. Pre diabetes can be a shock, but also a massive life changing possibility. I was never told that I was prediabetic the doctors dismissed it until I had full blown diabetes. Asked them why and they said well you didn’t look diabetic !!!! 😡
Pre diabetes is a very unlucky lucky diagnosis that’s how I would see it, I’m so glad you took it seriously as some wouldn’t. You will be just fine I’m sure xx
Thanks so much for your encouraging words xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back